Burn Center Referral Criteria
The American Burn Association has identified the following injuries as those requiring referral to a burn center.
- Partial thickness burns greater than 10% total body surface area (TBSA)
- Burns that involve the face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum, or major joints
- Third-degree burns in any age group
- Electrical burns, including lightning injury
- Chemical burns
- Inhalation injury
- Burn injury in patients with pre-existing medical problems/disorders that could complicate management
- Any patients with burns and concomitant trauma in which the burn poses the greatest risk
- Burned children in hospitals without qualified personnel or equipment for the care of children
- Burn injury in patients who will require special social, emotional, or long-term rehabilitation
Patients with these burns should be treated in a specialized burn facility after initial assessment and stabilization at an emergency department.
Transferring a Patient to WFBMC Burn Center
Physician to physician contact is essential to insure patient needs are met. To arrange transfer, call the Physician's Access Line at 1-800-277-7654.