Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center was one of the first academic medical centers in the nation to offer outpatient fistula, graft, or catheter procedures to maintain dialysis vascular access. It continues to be one of only a few academic medical centers offering interventional nephrology services.
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston Salem, NC 27157
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is ranked among the nation's best kidney disorders hospitals by U.S. News & World Report. The Nephrology Section provides specialized care for patients with high blood pressure, chronic kidney failure and end-stage renal disease. In addition, comprehensive services are offered through the extensive network of outpatient dialysis facilities and the Abdominal Organ Transplant Program, the 18th most active kidney and pancreas transplant program in the country.
In addition to being ranked 12th in the nation for kidney disease care by U.S. News & World Report, Wake Forest Baptist nephrologists received four national awards this year from:
- The American Society of Nephrology: 2012 John P. Peters Award
- The American Society of Transplantation: 2012 Senior Achievement Award in Clinical Transplantation
- Patricia L. Adams, MD, Emeritus
- The National Kidney Foundation: 2013 Shaul G. Massry Distinguished Lecture Award
- The National Kidney Foundation: 2013 Garabed Eknoyan Award
Translational Research Advances
- Researchers made genetic breakthroughs providing insight into new causes of hereditary kidney disease.
- The Nephrology team continues studies relating to the frequency of daily and nightly forms of dialysis and the role of the APOL1 gene variant in kidney transplant success.