News and Events
2013-14 Pain Mechanisms Lab Meetings
|September 9, 2013||Amie Severino, BS|
|September 16, 2013||Takashi Suto, MD, PhD|
|September 23, 2013||Steven Lombardo, BS|
|September 30, 2013||Fuzhou Wang, PhD|
|October 7, 2013||Chris Peters, PhD, Ken Hayashida, DVM|
|October 14, 2013||American Society of Anesthesiologists|
|October 21, 2013||Jeff Martin, PhD|
|October 28, 2013||Dani Boada, PhD, MSc Doug Ririe, MD|
|November 4, 2013||Jim Eisenach, MD Tim Houle, PhD|
|November 11, 2013||Society of Neuroscience|
|November 18, 2013||Jim Eisenach, MD|
|November 25, 2013||Takashi Suto, MD, PhD|
|December 2, 2013||Dani Boada, PhD, MSc|
|December 9, 2013||Chris Peters, PhD|
|December 16, 2013||Jim Eisenach, MD|
|January 6, 2014||Jim Eisenach, MD|
|January 13, 2014||Ken Hayashida DVM, PhD|
|January 27, 2014||Jeff Martin, PhD|
|February 3, 2014||Tim Houle, PhD|
|February 10, 2014||Doug Ririe, MD|
|February 17, 2014||Rebecca Wells, MD|
|February 24, 2014||Takashi Suto, MD, PhD|
|March 3, 2014||Amie Severino, BS|
|March 10, 2014||Ken Hayashida, DVM, PhD|
|March 17, 2014||Dani Boada, PhD, MSc|
|March 24, 2014||Jim Eisenach, MD|
|March 31, 2014||Chris Peters, PhD|
|April 7, 2014||Carol Aschenbrenner, MA|
|April 14, 2014||Jeff Martin, PhD|
|April 21, 2014||Tim Houle, PhD|
|April 28, 2014||Doug Ririe, MD|
|May 5, 2014||New Postdoc (Peters)|
|May 12, 2014||New Postdoc (Ririe)|
|May 19, 2014||New Postdoc (Eisenach)|
Postdoctoral Journal / Data Club 2013-2014 Schedule
- January 25, 2013 – Takashi Suto, MD, PhD
Inhibition of class II histone deacetylases in the spinal cord attenuates inflammatory hyperalgesia
- February 8, 2013 – Silvia Gutierrez, PhD
Blocking Caspase Activity Prevents Transsynaptic Neuronal Apoptosis and the Loss of Inhibition in Lamina II of the Dorsal Horn after Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- March 22, 2013 – FuZhou Wang, PhD
The contribution of TNF-α in the amygdala to anxiety in mice with persistent inflammatory pain
- April 5, 2013 – Takashi Suto, MD, PhD
Chronic Pain Leads to Concomitant Noradrenergic Impairment and Mood Disorders
- May 3, 2013 – Amie Severino, BS, Graduate Student
Spinal astrocyte gap junctions contribute to oxaliplatin-induced mechanical hypersensitivity
- May 24, 2013 – Christopher Peters, PhD
Spinal Toll-like receptor signaling and nociceptive processing: Regulatory balance between TIRAP and TRIF cascades mediated by TNF and IFNbeta
- June 7, 2013 – Fuzhou Wang, PhD
Epidermal adrenergic signaling contributes to inflammation and pain sensitization in a rat model of complex regional pain syndrome
- September 20, 2013 - Steve Lombardo, BS
Journal club: Juif PE, Poisbeau P. (2013). Neurohormonal effects of oxytocin and vasopressin receptor agonists on spinal pain processing in male rats. Pain. 154; 1449-56.
- October 4, 2013 - Amie Severino, BS
Journal club: Bravo et al. (2013). Social stress exacerbates the aversion to painful experiences in rats exposed to chronic pain: The role of the locus coeruleus. Pain. 154:2014-2023.
- October 18, 2013 - Takashi Suto, MD, PhD
Journal Club: Timmermans et al. (2013). Stress and Excitatory Synapses: From Health to Disease. Neuroscience. 248 626–636.
- November 15, 2013 - Steve Lombardo, BS
Journal Club: Pournajafi-Nazarloo, et al. (2013). Exposure to chronic isolation modulates receptors mRNAs for oxytocin and vasopressin in the hypothalamus and heart. Peptides. 43; 20-26.
- November 29, 2013 - Amie Severino, BS
Data club: Predoctoral thesis proposal presentation
January 30, 2014 – Christopher Peters, PhD
Journal Club: Corder et al. (2013) Constitutive mu-opioid receptor
activity leads to long term endogenous analgesia and dependence. Science.
- February 20, 2014 - Steven Lombardo, BS
Boccia ML, et al. (2013) Immunohistochemical localization of oxytocin receptors in the human brain. Neuroscience. 253;155-164
- February 27, 2014 - Amie Severino, BS
Shrivats et al. 2014 Virally mediated optogenetic excitation and inhibition of pain in freely moving nontransgenic mice. Nature Biotechnology
- March 13, 2014 - Carol Aschenbrenner, MA
RM Anova vs. Growth Curve Modeling of PWT
Pain Interest Group Seminars
- February 20, 2014. Elena Maria Vazey, PhD, Laboratory for Neuromodulation & Behavior, Dept. of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina. "The role of the locus coeruleus norepinephrine system in general anesthetic state transitions."
- May 17, 2013, Dr. Robert Takashi Sudo, Visiting Full Professor, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil , “Antinociceptive effect of new zolpidem analogues, LASSBio-873 and LASSBio-981, in animal models of acute and chronic pain”
- December 3, 2012-Dr. Donald Simone, Ph.D., Professor and Interim Chair, Dept. of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, “Descending Facilitation of Pain: Modulation by Substance P and NK-1 Receptors”
- January 10, 2012 - Dr. Larry Young, Professor of Psychiatry, Director of the Center for Translational Social Neuroscience, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA. "Oxytocin, Vasopressin and the Neurobiology of Social Bonding: Implications for Autism".
- December 6, 2011 - Dr. Volker Neugebauer, Professor of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX. "Maladaptive Brain Plasticity in Pain: Amygdala and Prefrontal Cortex".
- March 9, 2010-Jessica Spradley. Graduate student, Dept. of Psychology, University of Georgia, "The Effects of Central and Peripheral Endocannabinoid Modulation on Pain."
- March 1, 2010-Dr. Edward Boyden, Assistant Professor of Biodemical Engineering, MIT, "Novel Optical Biological Control Tools: Enabling Integrative Analysis and Engineering of Neural Substrates."
- February 1, 2010-Dr. Yi Ye, Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, UCSF, "Heat Sensitivity of Myelinated Nociceptors and Acute Effects of Inflammation in Newborn Mice."
- January 11, 2010-Dr. Misha Backonja, Professor of Neurology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, "Complexity and Dynamic Nature of Neuropathic Pain and Implications."
- November 11, 2009-Dr. Esther Pogatzki-Zahn, Dept. Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Muenster, "Mechanisms of Post-operative Incisional Pain: Translation from Bench to Bedside"
- October 12, 2009-Dr. Tony Pickering, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Bristol, "Targeted Genetic Manipulation of Noradrenergic Descending Control"
Previous PIG Seminar Guest Speakers:
Tony Yaksh, PhD UCSD; Rami Burstein, PhD, Harvard; Gil Yosopovitch, MD, WFUHS; Chuck Tong, MD, WFUHS; Tony Yaksh, PhD UCSD
Susan G. Carlton, PhD, Univ of Texas, Galveston; Joyce DeLeo, PhD, Dartmouth School of Medicine; John Neubert, PhD, DDS, College of Dentistry, Univ. of Florida; Michelle A. Vincler, PhD, WFUHS; Camilla Svensson, PhD, UCSD School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA; Steve Yellon, PhD, Loma Linda School of Medicine, CA
2005 and earlier
Timothy J. Brennan, PhD, Carver College of Medicine, Univ. of Iowa; Alex Cahana, MD, Univ. of Geneva, Switzerland; Robert Coghill, PhD, Neurobiology & Anatomy, WFUHS; Scott Hemby, PhD, Physiology & Pharmacology, WFUHS; Gayle Page, PhD, Johns Hopkins; Frank Porreca, PhD, Pharmacology, Univ. of Arizona; Jim Rathmell, MD, University of Vermont; Richard Rauck, MD, Center for Clinical Research, WFUHS; Scott Schell, MD, Dept. of Surgery, Univ. of Florida; Joseph Tobin, MD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; Linda Watkins, PhD, Director, Neurosciences & Psychology, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder; Jerry Gebhardt, PhD, University of Iowa; Timothy J. Brennan, PhD, Carver College of Medicine, Univ. of Iowa
Neural Plasticity and Pain: East Meets East, November 21, 2008: Koichi Noguchi, MD, PhD, Hyogo College of Medicine, Japan; Mitsuo Tanabe, PhD, Nagoya City University, Japan; Hideaki Obata, MD, PhD, Gunma University, Japan; Ken-ichiro Hayashida, DVM, PhD, WFUHS (Organizer)
Cholinergic Mechanisms of Analgesia, February 7, 2007: Matilde Cordero-Erausquin, PhD, Universite Laval, Canada; Hui-Lin Pan, PhD, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas; Michelle Vincler, PhD, WFUHS; James C. Eisenach, MD, WFUHS (Organizer)
Predictors of Pain, May 26, 2005: Michael J. Costigan, PhD, Mass Gen Hosp, Harvard, Boston, MA; Maria Fitzgerald, PhD, Neurobiology, University College, London; Willliam Maixner, DDS, PhD, Pharmacology & Endodontics, UNC; Robert Coghill, PhD, Neurobiology & Anatomy, WFUHS; Thomas J. Martin, PhD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS (Organizer)
Chronic Pain in Women after Surgery or Childbirth: Incidence, Causes and Prevention, October 19, 2004: Patricia Lavand’homme, MD, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium; Ruth Landau, MD, University of Geneva, Switzerland; Richard Smiley, MD, Columbia, University, NY; Peter Pan, MD, Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine; James C. Eisenach, MD, Anesthesia, WFUHS (Organizer)
Chronic Opioids in Pain and Addiction: Perspectives from the Laboratory to the Clinic, May 27, 2004: Charles Chavkin, PhD, Univ. of Washington, Seattle; Frank Porreca, PhD, Pharmacology, Tucson, Univ. of Arizona; Nathaniel Katz, MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; Thomas J. Martin, PhD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; Steven Childers, PhD, Physiology&Pharmacology, WFHUS (Organizer)
Obstetric Pain: Physiology and Pharmacology (A Retrospective Dedication to Dr. David Dewan), April 25, 2003: Raymond E. Papka, MD, Neurobiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities; Lars Arendt-Nielsen, MD, PhD, Aalborg Univ., Denmark; Priti Bajaj, MD, Aalborg Hospital, Denmark; Alan Gintzler, PhD, Biochemistry, SUNY, Brooklyn, NY; Roger Fillingham, PhD, College of Dentistry, Univ. of Florida; Chuanyao Tong, MD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; James C. Eisenach, MD, WFUHS (Organizer)