Seminars and Symposia
Pain Interest Group Seminars
- January 9, 2017. Meredith C. B. Adams, MD, MS, Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology, Department of Anesthesiology and Director, Pain Medicine Fellowship/Co-Director, Pediatric Pain Fellowship, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, Staff Physician (WOC), Anesthesiology Service, Milwaukee VAMC. "Bioinformatics Approach Might Be Useful to Examine Population-Based Data in Humans".
- February 28, 2017. Katherine Martucci, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine. "Acute and Chronic Pain in Humans: Pain Phenomena, Neurophysiological Altercations, and Effects of Opinoids".
- April 6, 2017. Kenneth T. Kishida, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology. "Towards a neuro-computational account of human experience and decision-making: What can capsaicin teach us about human beliefs?"
- March 15, 2016.
Andreas Sebastia Beutler, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Oncology and
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN. “Novel Analgesics for
Image Guided Spinal Delivery: Resiniferatoxin and AAV Gene Vectors”
- August, 2016- Zetang Wu, PhD, Research Investigator, Department of Neurology, University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, MI. "Replication-Defective Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV) Based Vectors in Pain Research.
- September 13, 2016, Yong-Jing Gao, MD, PhD, visiting scholar, Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University, Professor, Institute of Nautical Medicine, Nantong University. "Ghemokines and Neuropathic Pain: From Spinal Cord to Brain".
- Decembere 13, 2016. Zhonghui Guan, MD, Assistant Professor in Residence, Pain Management Center of UCSF Medical Center. "Gene Induction After Nerve Injury: How Should We Extend the Scope of Post Operative Care to Prevent Chronic Pain?"
- February 20, 2014. Elena Maria Vazey, PhD, Laboratory for Neuromodulation & Behavior, Department of Neurosciences, Medical University of South Carolina. "The role of the locus coeruleus norepinephrine system in general anesthetic state transitions"
- May 17, 2013, Dr. Robert Takashi Sudo, Visiting Full Professor, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil , “Antinociceptive effect of new zolpidem analogues, LASSBio-873 and LASSBio-981, in animal models of acute and chronic pain”
- December 3, 2012-Dr. Donald Simone, Ph.D., Professor and Interim Chair, Dept. of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences, University of Minnesota School of Dentistry, “Descending Facilitation of Pain: Modulation by Substance P and NK-1 Receptors”
- January 10, 2012 - Dr. Larry Young, Professor of Psychiatry, Director of the Center for Translational Social Neuroscience, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA. "Oxytocin, Vasopressin and the Neurobiology of Social Bonding: Implications for Autism"
- December 6, 2011 - Dr. Volker Neugebauer, Professor of Neuroscience and Cell Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX. "Maladaptive Brain Plasticity in Pain: Amygdala and Prefrontal Cortex"
- March 9, 2010-Jessica Spradley. Graduate student, Dept. of Psychology, University of Georgia, "The Effects of Central and Peripheral Endocannabinoid Modulation on Pain"
- March 1, 2010-Dr. Edward Boyden, Assistant Professor of Biodemical Engineering, MIT, "Novel Optical Biological Control Tools: Enabling Integrative Analysis and Engineering of Neural Substrates"
- February 1, 2010-Dr. Yi Ye, Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, UCSF, "Heat Sensitivity of Myelinated Nociceptors and Acute Effects of Inflammation in Newborn Mice"
- January 11, 2010-Dr. Misha Backonja, Professor of Neurology, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine, "Complexity and Dynamic Nature of Neuropathic Pain and Implications"
- November 11, 2009-Dr. Esther Pogatzki-Zahn, Dept. Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Muenster, "Mechanisms of Post-operative Incisional Pain: Translation from Bench to Bedside"
- October 12, 2009-Dr. Tony Pickering, Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, University of Bristol, "Targeted Genetic Manipulation of Noradrenergic Descending Control"
Previous PIG Seminar Guest Speakers:
Tony Yaksh, PhD UCSD; Rami Burstein, PhD, Harvard; Gil Yosopovitch, MD, WFUHS; Chuck Tong, MD, WFUHS; Tony Yaksh, PhD UCSD
Susan G. Carlton, PhD, Univ of Texas, Galveston; Joyce DeLeo, PhD, Dartmouth School of Medicine; John Neubert, PhD, DDS, College of Dentistry, Univ. of Florida; Michelle A. Vincler, PhD, WFUHS; Camilla Svensson, PhD, UCSD School of Medicine, La Jolla, CA; Steve Yellon, PhD, Loma Linda School of Medicine, CA
2005 and earlier
Timothy J. Brennan, PhD, Carver College of Medicine, Univ. of Iowa; Alex Cahana, MD, Univ. of Geneva, Switzerland; Robert Coghill, PhD, Neurobiology & Anatomy, WFUHS; Scott Hemby, PhD, Physiology & Pharmacology, WFUHS; Gayle Page, PhD, Johns Hopkins; Frank Porreca, PhD, Pharmacology, Univ. of Arizona; Jim Rathmell, MD, University of Vermont; Richard Rauck, MD, Center for Clinical Research, WFUHS; Scott Schell, MD, Dept. of Surgery, Univ. of Florida; Joseph Tobin, MD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; Linda Watkins, PhD, Director, Neurosciences & Psychology, Univ. of Colorado, Boulder; Jerry Gebhardt, PhD, University of Iowa; Timothy J. Brennan, PhD, Carver College of Medicine, Univ. of Iowa
Neural Plasticity and Pain: East Meets East, November 21, 2008: Koichi Noguchi, MD, PhD, Hyogo College of Medicine, Japan; Mitsuo Tanabe, PhD, Nagoya City University, Japan; Hideaki Obata, MD, PhD, Gunma University, Japan; Ken-ichiro Hayashida, DVM, PhD, WFUHS (Organizer)
Cholinergic Mechanisms of Analgesia, February 7, 2007: Matilde Cordero-Erausquin, PhD, Universite Laval, Canada; Hui-Lin Pan, PhD, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Texas; Michelle Vincler, PhD, WFUHS; James C. Eisenach, MD, WFUHS (Organizer)
Predictors of Pain, May 26, 2005: Michael J. Costigan, PhD, Mass Gen Hosp, Harvard, Boston, MA; Maria Fitzgerald, PhD, Neurobiology, University College, London; Willliam Maixner, DDS, PhD, Pharmacology & Endodontics, UNC; Robert Coghill, PhD, Neurobiology & Anatomy, WFUHS; Thomas J. Martin, PhD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS (Organizer)
Chronic Pain in Women after Surgery or Childbirth: Incidence, Causes and Prevention, October 19, 2004: Patricia Lavand’homme, MD, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium; Ruth Landau, MD, University of Geneva, Switzerland; Richard Smiley, MD, Columbia, University, NY; Peter Pan, MD, Wake Forest Univ. School of Medicine; James C. Eisenach, MD, Anesthesia, WFUHS (Organizer)
Chronic Opioids in Pain and Addiction: Perspectives from the Laboratory to the Clinic, May 27, 2004: Charles Chavkin, PhD, Univ. of Washington, Seattle; Frank Porreca, PhD, Pharmacology, Tucson, Univ. of Arizona; Nathaniel Katz, MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA; Thomas J. Martin, PhD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; Steven Childers, PhD, Physiology&Pharmacology, WFHUS (Organizer)
Obstetric Pain: Physiology and Pharmacology (A Retrospective Dedication to Dr. David Dewan), April 25, 2003: Raymond E. Papka, MD, Neurobiology, Northeastern Ohio Universities; Lars Arendt-Nielsen, MD, PhD, Aalborg Univ., Denmark; Priti Bajaj, MD, Aalborg Hospital, Denmark; Alan Gintzler, PhD, Biochemistry, SUNY, Brooklyn, NY; Roger Fillingham, PhD, College of Dentistry, Univ. of Florida; Chuanyao Tong, MD, Anesthesiology, WFUHS; James C. Eisenach, MD, WFUHS (Organizer)