The PBL Methodology
CERTL teachers in all grade levels and subject areas are trained to produce PBL activities following a standard methodolgy. Each CERTL approved "case" is facilitated by a CERTL qualified teacher in the following manner:
- A student reads the problem aloud in group.
- Students identify the facts, “What they know.”
- Students identify Learning Issues, “What they don’t know.”
- Students identify what could be going on, their ideas to move them forward in exploration.
- Students make decisions about how to proceed.
- Students acquire new information through research or additional resources.
- Students test their ideas against new knowledge, re-rank ideas as needed.
- Students continue to acquire new information and integrate it with that they know.
- Students arrive at most viable and defendable hypothesis/solution.
At the End of the Day...
- Students know what they know with confidence.
- Students can identify what they do not know/need to know.
- Students can efficiently and effectively acquire new information, integrate it with existing knowledge, use it to move towards problem resolution.
View and download sample PBL Cases.