Cardiothoracic Surgery Research
WFUBMC Heart Center cardiologists and surgeons are considered national leaders in cardiovascular disease research and technology.
Funding for research from the American Heart Association, the National Institutes of Health, and industry totaled more than $4.6 million in 2009.
Research efforts include:
- Recognition, causes and treatment of Heart Failure
- Improving exercise tolerance in patients with heart disease
- Monitoring cancer patients for cardiac effects of chemotherapy
- Genetic epidemiology of cardiac disease
- Non-invasive treatment of coronary artery disease, structural heart disease and arrhythmias
This research results in the Heart Center implementing the newest technology for our patients.
The Heart Center is participating in a $10 million, multi-center study to identify genes that contribute to early atherosclerosis, funded by the NIH’s National Heart Lung and Blood Institute.