High School Summer Research Exposure Program
On-Line Applications for the 2017 High School Summer Research Exposure Program will open on or before January 15th, 2017.
Deadline for Application: March 30th, 2017
Program Period: June 5th to July 7th, 2017
Note: All applicants will be notified on or before May 1st, 2017.
In keeping with the Institute's goal to promote STEM education, inspire and encourage young people to consider advanced education and careers in biomedical research, WFIRM has initiated a new opportunity for high school students to explore the world of regenerative medicine and engage in hands-on research by working with WFIRM researchers and their teams.
What is the Objective of the SREP program?
The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine Summer Research Exposure Program (SREP) provides multi-disciplinary education and research exposure opportunities for high school students (ages 16 to 18) and a unique opportunity to enhance their understanding of regenerative medicine research, research tools and techniques. The SREP provides students with educational and hands-on research experiences designed to increase their familiarity with the scientific process and to stimulate interest in advanced education and careers in STEM fields and multidisciplinary regenerative medicine research in a friendly and nurturing environment.
Benefits of Program – Academic, Social and Personal
- Participate in regenerative medicine research with WFIRM faculty, students and staff in a strong team-based environment
- Gain unique hands-on research experience and skill development
- Attend the annual Regenerative Medicine Essentials Course as well as special seminars and weekly research meetings
- Meet and network with peers and near-peers who have similar interests and goals
- Heighten and inspire interest and academic confidence in STEM disciplines
- Become more competitive when applying to undergraduate schools in the STEM disciplines
How to Apply
Download the 2017 High School Application Packet
You can download the 2017 High School Application Packet to begin reviewing the application process. Once the on-line application opens, complete the on-line application form. Following completion of the on-line application, complete each form included in the packet and mail completed packet to Joan F. Schanck, MPA, Director of the High School Summer Research Exposure Program, Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine, Wake Forest University Health Sciences, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-7290. Online application and packet to the 2017 summer program must be received no later than 5 p.m. on March 30th, 2017. All applicants will be notified on or before May 1st, 2017.
A completed application packet includes:
- Completed on-line application form
- Completed materials/forms found in the High School Application Packet
- Signed Agreement and Parental Consent Form
- Teacher Recommendation Form (2 recommendations required)
If you are selected to participate in the 2017 SREP at WFIRM you will be responsible for providing immunization records and documentation of a TB skin test by May 8th, 2017.
Applicants who turn in incomplete application packets or who turn in packets after 5 p.m. on March 30th, 2017 will not be considered for the 2017 High School Summer Research Exposure Program at WFIRM.