At Wake Forest Baptist Health, we offer a multi-disciplinary approach in managing various rheumatologic disorders from arthritis (e.g., rheumatoid, gout, psoriatic arthritis) to multi-systemic inflammatory conditions such as lupus, connective tissue disease, and vasculitis.
What is rheumatology?
Rheumatology is the diagnoses and treatment of conditions that affect the joints, muscles and connective tissue. Many of these conditions result from a hyperactive immune system that leads to inflammation.
When should you ask your primary care provider for a referral to one of our rheumatologists?
If you experience any one of the following:
• Local or generalized joint pain and or swelling
• Abnormal laboratory findings such as elevated markers of inflammation, positive lupus or rheumatoid blood test
• Unexplained musculoskeletal pain
• Unexplained symptoms like fever, fatigue, rash, anemia, weakness or weight loss
• Unexplained medical conditions that affect multiple organs
Our rheumatologist offer:
• Diagnosis and treatment of complex diseases affecting the immune system
• A dedicated Lupus Specialty Clinic
• 3 Infusion Centers
• Ultrasound-guided musculoskeletal procedures
• Comprehensive care for musculoskeletal conditions with access to various specialties (e.g., orthopedic surgeon, radiologists, physical therapy, occupational therapy, social work, and podiatry)
• Opportunity for patients to participate in clinical trials of cutting-edge new therapies