Skip Navigation

How to Report

You Have Options 

Survivors of sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, and sexual harassment have a number of different options available for reporting sexual misconduct and seeking help and support. 

Ask for an Accommodation for Academic and Safety Concerns 

Experiencing sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or sexual harassment can impact academic performance in a number of ways, such as having to miss classes for medical appointments or court dates, difficulty completing assignments or problems studying for exams. You have the right to reasonable academic accommodations following any form of sexual misconduct. The Title IX Coordinator can help you with requesting interim interventions related to academics such as deadline extensions, arrangements to re-take a course, withdrawal from a class without penalty, and/or ensuring changes do not negatively impact academic records. 

You have the right to feel safe on campus and avoid contact with the respondent. These interventions can include a change in campus living situations, class schedules, and parking assignments. For instance, the Title IX Coordinator or the Office of Student Affairs may prohibit the alleged respondent from having any contact with you or Family Services can assist you with obtaining an order of protection. You have the right to not bear an undue burden of the changes that are made and the above offices will consult with you in this process. 

File a Criminal Complaint with the Police 

Winston-Salem Police Department [Non-Confidential]
101 N. Main St. 
Winston-Salem, NC 27101 

Emergencies: 911 | Non-emergencies 336-773-7700  

The Winston Salem Police investigate, arrest, and assist in the prosecution of offenders. The Winston Salem Police may provide testimony for proceedings in criminal and student conduct hearings. The Winston Salem Police will transport students to the emergency room and court appearances. When a student files a complaint with the Police, the police document the information in a report and discuss various options with the victim for further action. If the student wants to press charges, a police report is created, the student is informed about the criminal process and the police conduct a criminal investigation. If the police determine that the elements of a crime have been met, they forward the police report to the State's Attorney's office who determines if offenses will be prosecuted. 

A copy of the police report is also submitted to the University Title IX Coordinator for an investigation and for possible action through the student conduct process if the alleged respondent is a University student. The Police should inform victims about available victim assistance and advocacy resources at Family Services. 

File a Complaint with the Title IX Coordinator 

Title IX Coordinator 


The Title IX Coordinator conducts Title IX Investigations for sexual misconduct. The Title IX Office can implement interim interventions such as changing campus living assignments and course sections. The Title IX Office conducts an investigation and determines if there is cause to forward the matter to the Title IX Hearing Board. The Title IX Coordinator also refers students to Family Services and to Student Wellness Services for support and assistance. 

Make an Anonymous Crime Report 

The University provides an option for anonymous reporting of campus crime by the crime victim or a third party reporting on behalf of a crime victim. To fill out an online crime reporting form go to:

The Wake Forest University Police Department will forward the anonymous report to the Security Department at the Medical Center and/or other departments on a need-to-know basis.

Contact an Advocate 

Family Services, Inc. [Confidential]
1200 Broad St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101 

336-722-8173 | 1-800-316-5513

Crisis Line available 24/7/365 for Sexual Assault Support and Information: 336-722-4457

Crisis Line available 24/7/365 for Domestic Violence Support and Information: 336-723-8125

Family Services is a confidential service that provides advocacy, assistance with obtaining civil orders of protection and no contact orders, information about university processes related to reporting and investigation of sexual misconduct, and crisis support and safety planning and risk reduction strategies for victims/survivors. 

Talk to Someone at the Counseling Center 

Student Wellness Services [Confidential]
Waiting Room: Gray 5095
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27157 (confidential email)

Dr. Jaime Ungerleider:, 336-713-7002

Dr. Paige Greason:, 336-713-7008  

Student Wellness Services offers confidential counseling services and crisis intervention to students. Student Wellness Services provides support and guidance to help manage immediate emotional trauma and strengthen resilience in response to trauma. Counseling and crisis intervention can be easily arranged by calling or coming to Student Wellness Services. Crisis intervention or personal counseling can help students identify and consider options such as to notify appropriate law enforcement and campus authorities, pursue student conduct processes, meet with an advocate, talk to a family member/partner, etc. 


Quick Reference

Sexual Offense Prevention and Response
Tanya L. Jachimiak, JD
Title IX Coordinator

Office 336-758-7258


Ways to Give
Last Updated: 09-19-2016
Wake Forest Baptist Ranked among Nation’s ‘Best Hospitals’  25 Years in a Row by U.S. News & World ReportComprehensive Cancer Centers National Designation is Renewed2017-2018 Best DoctorsNursing Magnet StatusJoint Commission Report

Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.

© Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157. All Rights Reserved.