The North Carolina Baptist Hospital School of Nursing welcomed its first class of 15 students in 1923. By 1956, the three-year diploma program was the largest of its kind in North Carolina with an enrollment of 175 students.
Although the School of Nursing closed in 1974, the program launched a strong tradition of nursing excellence at the Medical Center. In 1999, the Baptist Hospital Department of Nursing was the first in North Carolina to be awarded Magnet status by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Many School of Nursing alumnae have earned advanced degrees, maintain their commitment to helping others through volunteer work in their communities and remain connected to their nursing school alma mater.
Edna L. Heinzerling, director of the School of Nursing and director of nursing at North Carolina Baptist Hospital from 1923-31, provided valuable leadership and set the standard for generations of nursing students. She and other great leaders are credited with helping the hospital survive during its early years.
The Edna L. Heinzerling Endowed Fund was established to honor her selfless devotion to the profession, and to recognize and foster the professional nursing practice at the hospital. Annual gifts to the Heinzerling Fund from alumnae and friends help sustain the strong tradition of nursing excellence at NCBH.
GIVE ONLINE TO THE HEINZERLING FUND
Special exhibits reflecting the history and heritage of our School of Nursing are featured in an historical archive online.
We want to keep up with all our alumni. Please submit news and/or photos for use in our alumni publications to:
Sr. Director of Alumni Development
Office of Development and Alumni Affairs
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
P.O. Box 571021
Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1021