Resident Endocrinology Rotation Organization
Cynthia A. Burns, MD
Organization of the Residency Endocrine Rotation
Residents will be oriented by the consult fellow on the first day of the rotation, and should arrive at the Endocrinology clinic, Joslin location, by 8:00am unless notified by the fellow of an alternate time and location.
- Please let Lisa Sharpe know if you will not be able to make the orientation session to make alternative plans for another meeting time.
- Residents are responsible for ensuring that they meet residency program attendance requirements regarding the number of days required to receive credit for the rotation.
a. 2 weeks of Endocrine Clinic
- All clinics are held at the Joslin Center.
- The Joslin Center is located at the corner of Country Club Road and Jonestown Road, at 4610 Country Club Commons.
- If the resident is not scheduled in a clinic of DM class, then residents are to engage in self-directed learning on Endocrinology topics (see rotation objectives).
- Clinics start at 8 AM. Arrive early and prepared.
1. Consider reviewing the day's clinic schedule prior to the beginning of clinic.
- If working with an Advanced Practice Provider: Residents are not responsible for starting/writing the encounter note, as APP's may not co-sign resident notes, and there can only be one note for the encounter. Please do not start or write notes for the patients you see with an APP.
b. 2 weeks Inpatient Consultation
- It is the resident's responsibility to ensure that the appropriate history and physical examination is obtained on each consult, and to follow the patient's progress during the hospitalization.
1. Daily progress notes should be written in SOAP note format--please do not carry forward the consultation H&P.
- The medical students will be assigned to follow consults along with the resident, but the resident maintains primary responsibility for communication with the primary team.
- Residents should not offer written or verbal recommendations to the primary team until the patient has been presented to the attending at consult rounds
- The times for consult rounds will be set by the Endocrinology fellow &/or attending of the month, and are typically in the afternoon.
1. Residents are expected to be at Endocrinology consult rounds Monday through Friday, unless seeing patients in their own Housestaff Continuity Clinic or involved in mandatory IM Residency activities.
2. On Mondays, the Fellow will meet with you at 1 PM prior to resident academic half day, and if necessary, will ask you to return after the academic half day is complete.
Residents will attend each of the following conferences:
- Endocrine conference: Wednesdays, 1:00-2:00 PM, endocrine conference room, E Floor, Nutrition Bldg
- Internal Medicine Grand Rounds: Thursdays, 8:00-9:00AM, Commons areas.
We recommend reading the MKSAP Endocrinology Book; Williams' Textbook of Endocrinology is available online through the Coy C. Carpenter Library for more detailed information regarding specific patient conditions; assorted case specific reading material will be distributed as appropriate during the rotation.