Supporting a Family

Cost of attendance includes only those expenses associated with the student. A dependent care allowance, which most often means the cost of day care for dependent children, can be added to the cost of attendance.

The amount allowed for day care is based on the ages of the children and on reasonable costs in the area of the medical school. Keep in mind that this results in borrowing more money to cover the cost.

Federal need analysis methodology assumes the student and spouse have sufficient resources to meet the living expenses of the spouse and any dependent children. The calculation of the contribution to education expense from the student/spouse income excludes a specified amount of income.

The amount excluded is called the income protection allowance and varies according to the number of dependents for whom the student will provide at least half support during the academic year and the number of those in college. This amount is set aside exclusively for the support of dependents and is not part of the contribution expected to cover the student's cost of attendance.

Problems often arise when the student's own/or spouse's means of support are insufficient to take care of dependent family members, either because the spouse is not employed or the student is a single parent with minimal personal resources.

Student with these circumstances should talk to the Financial Aid Officer early in the admission process. Other sources of dependent support that should be explored include social services, church groups, and financial assistance from parents or other relatives.

Even students with sufficient resources can experience financial difficulty if they are not realistic in preparing a spending plan. Student and spouses should review their lifestyle expectations and be in agreement before making the financial commitment to attend school.

Each one needs to be prepared to live like a student, which often means giving up "extras" that were taken for granted before. Begin planning early to pay off any debts that you may have, and start saving now in anticipation of relocation expenses and salary reductions.

Good communication, planning and realistic expectations for funding will help you avoid the stresses commonly experienced by combining the rigors of medical school with family responsibilities.

Resources for Families 

North Carolina has a Federally Mandated, State Supervised, County Administered, Social Services System. This means the Federal Government authorizes national programs and a majority of the funding and the State Government provides oversight and support, but it is the 100 local County Departments of Social Services that deliver the services and benefits.

Economic Services Programs 

County Departments of Social Services provide services that help low income families obtain and maintain work, support employment, promote quality health care coverage, food assistance, energy assistance and other economic supports for families. These services include:

  • Medical Coverage (Medicaid)
  • NC Health Choice for Children
  • Work First Family Assistance
  • Work First Employment Services
  • Emergency Assistance
  • Child Day Care Subsidies
  • Electronic Benefit Card (EBT) Food and Nutrition Services
  • Low Income Energy Assistance
  • Child Support Enforcement
  • Special Assistance to elderly and disabled adults
  • Transportation Services

Forsyth County Department of Social Services
741 North Highland Avenue
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Main Phone Line: 336-703-3500

Mailing Address: 
P.O. Box 999 
Winston-Salem, NC 27102

Office Hours: 8 am - 5 pm, Monday - Friday

Division of Food and Nutrition Services

Division of Medical Assistance (Medicaid)

WIC stands for Women, Infants, and Children and is also called the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program. WIC is a federal program designed to provide food to low-income pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children until the age of 5. 

Quick Reference

Financial Aid

Phone: 336-716-2889
Fax: 336-716-9593


Ellen Montgomery
Senior Financial Aid Officer

Phone: 336-716-3270


Caleb Suggs
Financial Aid Officer

Phone: 336-716-4897


Melissa Stevens
Director of Financial Aid

Phone: 336-716-2893


Mon - Fri 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Location: 3rd Floor Watlington Hall, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Medical Center Blvd., Winston Salem, NC 27157-1090
Find A Doctor Ways to Give
Last Updated: 07-02-2014
USNWR 2013-2014Magnet Hospital RecognitionConsumer Choice2014 Best DoctorsJoint Commission Report

Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.