Conference Description & Schedule
Basic Science Conference: We are using the SCORE curriculum to guide the Basic Science Conference in preparation for the ABSITE exam. Readings and answering questions are included. Meets every Friday, 7:00am – 8:00am. Surgical Skills Lab Conference Center, Janeway Tower, 1st floor
Skill Sessions:This is experiential learning through hands on skills, and Crew Resource Management sessions. Meets every Friday, 8:00am – 9:30am. Surgical Academy Conference Center, Janeway Tower, 1st floor.
Core Conference: Our Core Conference incorporates M&M, Grand Rounds, Chairman’s Conference and some Independent Study time. Practical Meets every Wednesday, Commons 1-3, Nutrition Building, G floor
- Quality Performance and Improvement: Presentations are given on pre-determined cases.
- Grand Rounds Conference: Didatic lectures given by faculty, visiting faculty, Surgery Chief, Research Fellow and other institutional invitees
- Chairman’s Conference: This will be an” interesting” case that could be a rare occurrence and how the patient was managed.
General Surgery Journal Club: Piedmont Club, dinner provided. Meets second Thursday of every month.
House Staff Meetings:Meets first Thursday of every month, 5:00pm. Watlington Hall, 5th floor, Conference Room 9.
Mock Oral Board Exams: Semi-annual simulation of oral board experience with review. Meeting time and place to be determined. 7:00am
Laparoscopic Surgery Conference: Meets Thursdays, 7:30 – 8:30am, Surgical Skills Lab, Janeway Tower, 1st floor.
Pediatric Surgery Conference: Meets every Wednesday, 12:00pm, Surgical Academy Conference Center, Janeway Tower, 1st floor.
- Hepatobiliary Oncology Conference - HBOC:This is a multidisciplinary conference that reviews challenging cases involving hepatobiliary malignancies. Dr. Shen is the facilitator. Meets 4th Tuesday of every month, 7:30 – 8:30 Comprehensive Cancer Center, 2nd floor Conference Rooms C & D
- Oncology Tumor Board Conference:Four oncology cases consisting of a variety of cancers such as breast, colon, esophageal, liver, pancreatic, melanoma, etcetera, are presented each. Meets every Friday, 12:00 – 1:00 pm. Comprehensive Cancer Center, 2nd floor, Conference Rooms 2A & B
- Transplant Work Meeting: Review clinic patients and upcoming cases for the week. Meets every Monday, 4:00pm. Nephrology Conference Room
- QA, Journal Club: Guest Speakers, resident and medical student presentations. Meets every Tuesday, 4:00pm. 11 Ardmore West Conference Room
- Pre-Transplant Evaluation Meeting: Discuss pre-transplant patients after work-up to determine their eligibility for listing. Meets every Friday, 12:30pm and the Transplant Clinic, 140 Charlois Blvd.
Acute Care Surgery Conferences (includes EGS, Trauma, ICU)
- Critical Care Conference: Meets every Friday, 11:00am. Watlington Hall, 5th floor, Conference Room 9
- Trauma Morbidity & Mortality Conference:Meet every Tuesday, 11:00am, Division Conference Room, Watlington Hall, 5th floor
- Emergency General Surgery (EGS) Conference:Meets every Thursday, 3:00pm, Conference Room 9, Watlington Hall, 5th floor
- Resuscitation Conference:
This conference is held in conjunction with the Department of Emergency Medicine . It provides a forum of discussion of the initial aspects of trauma care and the roles of each team member. Topics in the past have included airway management, initial evaluation of torso trauma, evaluation of the hypotensive trauma patient and reviews of specific issues encountered in the evaluation and resuscitation of trauma victims. The conference is led by the trauma attendings with presentations by residents from both disciplines. Meets every quarter on a Tuesday, 11:00 am.
- ICU Teaching Rounds:Meets every Thursday, 10:00am, in the Trauma ICU
- Vascular Surgery Indications Conference:
Each scheduled case for the upcoming week and all unscheduled emergent and urgent cases from the previous week are discussed. Where possible, management is discussed in context of Level I data and peer-reviewed reports. Meets every Wednesday, 5:00 – 6:00 pm. 11th Ardmore East Conference Room
- Vascular Surgery Conference:
This conference rotates between a case conference presentation of complex vascular problems and didactic conferences. The topics for the didactic conference are chosen to expand on the clinical experience. These didactic presentations are made by Vascular Fellows, Chief Residents, and H.O.III’s. Meets every Wednesday 4:00 – 5:00 pm. 11th Ardmore East Conference Room
- Vascular Journal Club:
Peer-reviewed articles are reviewed that focus on contemporary topics in vascular surgery. Meets one Wednesday per month, 4:00 – 5:00 pm. 11th Ardmore East Conference Room
- Vascular Surgery Morbidity and Mortality Conference:
Presentation and discussion of mortality and morbidity. House staff at all levels participate in this conference that discusses all mortality and serious morbidity on the Vascular Surgery Teaching Service during that month’s rotation. Meets last Wednesday every month. 4:00 – 5:00 pm. 11th Ardmore East Conference Room