The Medical Center is comprised of Wake Forest Baptist Medicine Center and the Wake Forest School of Medicine. It is a regional referral center, providing complete patient care for an area of nearly five million people. The Medicine Center is the main teaching hospital of the Wake Forest Baptist Health. The Hospital contains 830 beds and serves as a tertiary care referral center, predominantly attracting patients from the Carolinas, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Ambulatory care education and patient care are pursued in the Clinical Sciences Building at The Medical Center as well as at the Downtown Health Plaza, a community outpatient health care facility which provides care primarily for socioeconomically disadvantaged patients in Winston-Salem. The Wake Forest School of Medicine is the core of The Medical Center's educational program and was established in 1902. Over 400 students are enrolled in the four-year school of medicine and nearly 400 postgraduate physicians are pursuing specialty and subspecialty training at The Medical Center. The clinical faculty of The Wake Forest School of Medicine serve as the attending staff at the Medicine Center. Members of the faculty limit their professional activities to The Medical Center, thus ensuring their availability for patient care, teaching, and research activities. Wake Forest University was founded in 1834 and now has an enrollment of more than 4,500. The university offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum in the undergraduate college and professional training provided by the School of Medicine, the School of Law and the Babcock Graduate School of Management.
Facilities for outpatient renal ultrasound, renal biopsies, inpatient hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous renal replacement therapy, renal and pancreas transplantation, as well as arteriovenous fistula and Tenckhoff catheter placement are present within Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. In addition, an Interventional Radiology program is available to assist with dialysis access management. The Nephrology section has offices for faculty and fellows, as well as a sectional library/multipurpose conference room. Computer terminals located in each of the faculty and fellows’ offices permit rapid access to patient records, laboratory tests, Medline for computer-assisted literature searches, and CD-ROM based Nephrology textbooks. Additionally, software is available for the most up-to-date information in clinical nephrology.