OWIMS Weekly Links & News - August 26-30
UPCOMING OWIMS LEADERSHIP EVENTS
Career Development For Women Leaders Training Program
September 12, 8am-5pm
Event Audience: CDWL Fellows
View all OWIMS Leadership & Mentoring Events
MedEdPORTAL® is a free online service provided by the Association of American Medical Colleges, which aims to equip healthcare professionals across the continuum with effective and efficient educational tools to improve patient care. The program recently released a brief video which describes its three services - Publications, iCollaborative and the CE Directory. Visit www.mededportal.org/about to view the video and share with others!
Passion and Purpose - Why Leadership Means Following Your Heart
New Effort to Promote Faculty Work-Family Balance
Picture Yourself - A female scientist reminds women not to undervalue their professional expertise.
3 Ways To Get More Out Of--Or Just Get Out Of--Your Next Meeting
London Mayor Criticized for Saying Women Go to College for Husbands London Mayor Boris Johnson is under attack for a quip suggesting that female students are still after Mrs. degrees.
Successfully Integrate Your Work, Home, Community, and Self
New Research: Flexibility Versus Face Time http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2013/07/new_research_flexibility_versu.html
Look at What STEM Girls Can Do with Mobile Apps
The Mask You Live In: Engaging the Masks Men Wear to Prove Themselves (Video Length: 4:49 minutes)
http://goodmenproject.com/bits-and-pieces/the-mask-you-live-in-engaging-the-masks-men-wear-to-prove-themselves-video/ Jennifer Siebel Newsom, creator of "Miss Representation," has created a documentary that explores the need for young men to have better ways of proving their masculinity.
Coveting Not a Corner Office, but Time at Home
Academic careers and promotion: character and conduct deserve greater emphasis
Career Life Cycles.
Four Internal Barriers Holding You Back -Imposter syndrome; Aimless ambition; Timidity; Risk aversion
CCL white paper: "Developing Network Perspective: Understanding the Basics of Social Networks and Their Role in Leadership."
ITEMS OF INTEREST:
Social Support as a Mediator Between Emotion Work and Job Satisfaction
Tougher Standards for Female Scholars? The Psychology Behind Them and Policies to Eliminate Them
ITEMS OF INTEREST:
Women's Health or Gender Differences Internship Projects Available for Fall 2013: Researchers at WFBMC are seeking undergraduate students. Visit our Internship Page for more information. These are unpaid internships; students are looking for experience and/or class credit.
Recent articles from the New England Journal of Medicine
- Reversible Cerebral Vasoconstriction after Preeclampsia PDF
- A New Era in Noninvasive Prenatal Testing PDF
- Becoming a Physician: Experiments in Continuity - Rethinking Residency Training in Ambulatory Care PDF
19th annual symposium on child abuse & neglect, presented by the Children's Advocacy Centers of North Carolina
September 24-26 (early registration ends 8/31), Lake Junaluska, NC
SAVE THE DATES for following Domestic Violence Awareness Month Activities
- September 1-October 31:Collecting the following for survivors in shelter and transition: sheets, comforters, blankets, bedspreads, towels, shower curtains, small rugs, pillows-all sizes; For little ones: diapers, Pull-Ups®, wipes, crib sets, sippy cups, bibs, formula (check expiration dates). We can only accept new items in these categories. Drop off at Family Services, Inc., 1200 S. Broad. St.
- September 28:Walk a Mile in Her Shoes www.walkamiletriad.org
- October 1 and October 2, 9: 00 AM-4:00 PM: Chief John Guard, Pitt County Sheriff Department and Kit Gruelle, Advocate and National Trainer will present Domestic Violence Basics for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Personnel in Winston-Salem. Register through the North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence at www.nccadv.org. For additional information contact The Safe Relationships Division of Family Services, Inc., (336) 722-8173.
- October 4, 12:00 PM-1:00 PM: Domestic Violence Awareness Month Day of Unity: a commemorative celebration honoring survivors and victims of domestic violence homicide at Family Services, Inc., 1200 S. Broad Street. Local survivors will join us to share their experiences. The Domestic Violence Awareness Month Proclamation will be given by Winston-Salem City Council South Ward Representative, Molly Leight. For additional information, contact The Safe Relationships Division of Family Services, Inc. at (336) 722-8173.
- October 9, 7:45 AM-8:45 AM: The Annual Meeting of the Domestic Violence Community Council at Family Services, Inc., 1200 S. Broad St. Representatives from Safe Alliance of Mecklenburg County will share their community successes with us. R.S.V.P. is required by Monday, October 7 to firstname.lastname@example.org or to (336) 722-8173.
- October 17, 12:00 PM-1:30 PM: Home Free Luncheon featuring domestic violence survivor, Mildred Mohammad www.homefreenc.com
- October 18, 6-8pm Unmask the Violence Pig Pickin' Fundraiser at the First Christian Church, Kernersville. This event will feature a barbeque dinner, entertainment, a silent auction, and a cake and dessert auction. All proceeds benefit Next Step Ministries Domestic Violence Shelter in Kernersville. For more information call 413-7054. Admission $15 per ticket http://members.kernersvillenc.com/events/details/unmask-the-violence-pig-pickin-fundraiser-255
- October 30, 11:00 AM-2:00 PM: Panel Discussion: Domestic Violence and the African-American Community Performance by Authoring Action
Breastfeeding & Feminism International Conference: Forging Partnerships for a Better Tomorrow
March 20-21, 2014, Chapel Hill, NC
For information visit: www.breastfeedingandfeminism.org
Call For Papers: We invite you to submit an abstract for review and consideration. Send your abstracts as a word document, attached to an email to email@example.com with the subject line: "BFF Conference". Please submit by October 1, 2013.
Shift Work Linked To Reduced Fertility In Women
Older Age Associated With Disability Prior To Death, Women More At Risk Than Men
Physicians Slow To Implement HPV Vaccination And Cervical Cancer Screening Guidelines
How Pregnancy Provides A Window To Future Health
Working Women With HIV Cope Better With Their Illnesses
More Research Needed On Treatment For Lung Cancer In Female 'Never Smokers'