OWIMS Exemplary Mentor Spotlight - October 2013
Sara R. Jones, PhD
Professor with Tenure
Physiology and Pharmacology
Number of years at WFSM 13
We would like to recognize Dr. Sara Jones as an exemplary mentor in the OWIMS Mentoring Program! Dr. Jones, Tenured Professor of the Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, joined the OWIMS Mentoring Program in 2009. Since arriving at WFBMC 13 years ago, she has mentored a number of mentees, many from the graduate student and post-doctoral level and assisting them to achieve faculty status here and elsewhere.
Leadership and Mentoring accomplishments include:
- Mentor in OWIMS Mentoring Program
- Member of mentoring committees for junior faculty in Physiology & Pharmacology
- Served as co-Director of Graduate Studies for Physiology & Pharmacology Department 2005-2011
- Received Outstanding Teacher Award from Graduate School
- Won 2013 Bynum Faculty Mentoring Excellence Award
- Served on Faculty Senate and Faculty Representative Council
- Chaired faculty search committees
- 2011 Graduate of the OWIMS Career Development for Women Leaders Program
Dr. Jones' Mentees had this to say about her:
- "I have developed into a productive early-career investigator…directly attributed to Sara's untiring support, mentorship and academic selflessness. Overwhelming testament to Sara's reputation as a premier mentor resides in the number of mentored grant awards that are obtained under her tutelage, awards which heavily rely on the successes and skill-set of the mentor."
- "Dr. Jones has served as an inspiring role model to me and many other women in our department."
- "My interactions with Sara have been invaluable and critical to my success an Assistant Professor. Sara expressed many of the attributes that many are looking for in a mentor: patience, a willingness to help, understanding, encouragement and support."
Her primary focus is research in neurobiology of drug abuse and alcoholism and teaching medical and graduate students
Thank you, Dr. Jones for being an exemplary mentor!