Educational Conferences and Opportunities
The Department of Orthopaedic Surgery offers a structured CORE conference schedule, which consists of weekly lectures given by the faculty and residents with an emphasis on in-service examination topics and national board preparation.
Orthopaedic Grand Rounds is a department wide event, which consists of case presentations; monthly morbidity and mortality review; guest lectures from visiting orthopaedists; specialty updates; and lectures from hospital staff on a variety of topics including ethics and business.
Orthopaedic sub-specialty conferences are run by individual divisions within the department and are provided while rotating on each service. These sub-specialty conferences address the areas of oncology, trauma, hand, spine, foot and ankle, adult reconstruction, and sports medicine. The department also sponsors a monthly resident journal club and residents are encouraged to attend monthly sub-specialty journal clubs if on service or interested in the presented topic.
Additional learning opportunities take place throughout the year, including:
- anatomical dissections
- operative trauma cadaveric and saw-bone workshops
- an annual musculoskeletal pathology review
- arthroscopy skills laboratories
- microsurgery skills laboratory
There are also several research symposia and other regional resident conference opportunities available in conjunction with other medical centers in the area including the Annual Mid-Atlantic Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Resident Research Symposium and the Southeastern Fracture Symposium.
Residents receive an educational stipend which can be used to purchase books, loupe microsurgical magnification, and other materials. The stipend can also be used to attend educational orthopaedic courses such as the AO Basic Course and other advanced skills courses; as well as, local, regional, or national conferences. Residents have routinely attended:
- American Orthopaedic Association Leadership Forum
- North Carolina Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting
- Southern Orthopaedic Association Annual Meeting
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery Annual Meeting
- Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Grant Writing Seminar
- American Orthopaedic Surgery Sports Medicine Society Annual Meeting
- Arthroscopy Association of North America Annual Meeting