Hours of Operations
The Department of Pharmacy at WFBMC is a “high touch, high tech” enterprise, consisting of over 300 employees who are responsible for providing comprehensive pharmaceutical care programs and services across the health care continuum. The Department operates with a consolidated expense budget of $140,000,000, which is comprised of over $90,000,000 in medication expense.
Pharmacists at WFBMC routinely provide clinical services to patients admitted to more than 37 different services at the medical center. In addition to inpatient services, the department provides a wide array of pharmacy services that span many outpatient settings through a network of retail and ambulatory care pharmacies. An ongoing commitment to providing the highest quality pharmacy services possible is supported by both a long history of advancing clinical pharmacy practice and employing innovative technologies wherever these powerful tools can be most effectively leveraged for safety and efficiency.
Over the past several years, the pharmacy residency program at WFBMC has graduated many outstanding residents who have taken positions in some of the nation’s leading medical centers and universities. In addition to residency education, the pharmacy department hosts numerous pharmacy students as part of its relationships with multiple pharmacy schools including Campbell University and Wingate University.
The Department of Pharmacy’s dedication to pharmacy leadership development is evidenced by the high degree of involvement of WFBMC pharmacists, both within the organization and the profession as a whole. WFBMC pharmacists can be found in leadership positions within state and national pharmacy organizations. As health systems continue to evolve, WFBMC Pharmacy is leading the way in providing pharmacists with the leadership and clinical skills needed to be successful in modern healthcare settings
Inpatient pharmaceutical care programs are provided from 5 specialty care areas, including:
- Central Pharmacy - provides 24-hour service to all adult inpatient areas including 9 adult critical care areas (BMT, CCU, CTICU, 2 MICUs, NSICU, SICU, TICU, and Burn Center), 1 Intermediate Care unit, 21 adult medical/surgical units, and 3 Day Hospital units. Included are various specialty services including both sterile and non-sterile compounding, nutrition support, and controlled substances
- Pediatrics Pharmacy - serves all patients of Brenner Children's Hospital including the NICU, PICU, Intermediate Care and Sedation Suite, as well as Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, General Pediatrics, Adolescent Medicine/Surgery, Adolescent Psychiatric Services, and Pediatrics Day Hospital/Short Stay
- Emergency Department Pharmacy - provides 24-hour service to all segments of the Emergency Department, including the Adult/Acute and Fast Track areas with specialized care provided to pediatric patients in the new Brenner Pediatric ED.
- Inpatient Surgery Pharmacy - serves the 24-suite inpatient surgical area and the 8-suite Pediatrics OR
- Outpatient Surgery Pharmacy - serves the 8-suite Outpatient Surgical Center and the 4-suite Minor Procedures area
Pharmacists routinely provide clinical services to patients admitted to more than 37 services at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, including:
- Critical Care (MICU, SICU, Trauma, Neuro, CCU, NICU, PICU, Burn Center)
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Oncology
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Adult Oncology
- General Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Kidney/Pancreas Transplantation
- Internal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases
- Emergency Medicine
- Nutrition Support
- Hospitalist Service
In addition, the department provides services across the continuum of care including the following:
- Ambulatory Care – The Department of Pharmacy operates the Pharmacy Care Clinic, which provides management of anticoagulation, cardiovascular risk reduction, and anti-arrhythmic therapies, and a diabetes disease state management program. Pharmacists also practice in the following clinics: Infectious Diseases Specialty Clinic, Transplant Clinic, University Internal Medicine Associates Clinic, Downtown Health Plaza, and the Congestive Heart Failure Clinic.
- Outpatient Pharmacies – Outpatient prescription services are provided from 6 locations: Main Campus, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Clemmons Medical Plaza, Piedmont Plaza, Bermuda Run Plaza I, and Downtown Health Plaza. These pharmacies provide comprehensive pharmacy services which include patient education, disease state education, and medication therapy management. The pharmacies utilize advanced technology and quality assurance programs to ensure safe and effective services.
- Specialty Pharmacy Services– provides pharmacist-driven comprehensive clinical care for patients with complex and chronic conditions. Additional services for specialty care patients include, coordination of dispensing services, clinical review (lab results, physician notes, clinic orders), multidisciplinary consultation and medication management.
- Home Infusion Pharmacy – serves as an alternative to hospitalization for patients who are in need of intravenous or injectable medications. Pharmacists work in collaboration with physicians and nurses to provide care in the comfort of the patient's home. Each patient receives an individualized plan of care, which includes drug utilization review, laboratory test evaluation, and medication therapy outcomes monitoring.
Departmental centers of excellence include:
Quality of Care and Patient Safety
The Department of Pharmacy demonstrates its continued commitment to improved quality of care through its involvement in many medication safety initiatives and the utilization of automation technologies that allow for a safer medication use process, such as:
- Computerized prescriber order entry (CPOE) as part of the EPIC (Willow) EHR
- Robot-Rx with the Envelope Delivery System (EDS)
- IntelliFill IV robotic device
- Apoteca IV chemotherapy robotic device
- AcuDose-Rx automated medication dispensing cabinets
- NarcStation controlled substances management system
- MedCarousel automated dispensing system
- Alaris Guardrail smart IV infusion pumps
- Barcode medication verification and charting at the bedside
- Fulfill-Rx pharmacy inventory management system
- Closed Loop supply chain management technology
- Rx-30 outpatient workflow – bar coding, prescription imaging, and pill imaging
- Parata RDS – outpatient automated dispensing robot