Internships are available year-round for undergraduate and graduate students. All students making inquiries are instructed to send a cover letter and a resume along with the Recreation Therapy Internship Application to the Clinical Director of Recreation Therapy.
All potential applicants are interviewed by the appropriate staff members. The number of interns accepted varies according to quality of applicants and staff situations.
- The time spent on unit(s) is governed by staff responsibilities and the intern's goals and desires.
- The amount of work assigned to the intern is delegated according to the intern's ability to accept responsibility.
- Starting date of internship is arranged with the primary therapist. Intern will work for 40 hours a week for a minimum of 14 weeks.
- Intern must sign a written agreement before beginning work.
- Orientation (generally one week) consists of a tour of the hospital and unit(s), introduction to staff, observation of staff (low level participation in activities) and required readings.
- Intern will have available time at the end of each working day for a question/answer session with the primary therapist.
- Intern will meet with the Clinical Director twice a month to discuss experiences, progress and issues/concerns.
- Intern will attend all staff meetings and other meetings/conferences when appropriate.
- Primary therapist will do and discuss with the intern a mid-term and final evaluation.
Responsibilities of the Intern
- By the end of the first week, must provide Clinical Director with a written statement of internship expectations.
- Be certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- Function duties as outlined by specific unit requirements.
- Be prepared to orally present reports at staff meetings on required readings.
- Do required administrative readings and spend minimum of 3 hours with Clinical Director of Recreation Therapy covering administrative topics.
- Present at one Recreation Therapy staff meeting an article of interest.
- Fill out daily productivity sheet and submit to departmental secretary.
- Fill out evaluation form about internship for department.