Surgical Services - Hickory Care and Services
The surgeons at Surgical Services - Hickory provide a broad range of general surgery services. Simple procedures such as biopsies and minor excisions can usually be performed in our office.
Some of our general surgery services include:
- Breast surgery
- Stereotactic and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy
- Surgery for Cancer
- Treatment for benign breast disease
- Hernia surgery
- Hiatal / paraesophageal
- Incisional / abdominal wall
- Inguinal (groin)
- Gallbladder surgery (including single-incision laparoscopic surgery)
- Appendix surgery
- Liver and bile duct surgery
- Pancreas surgery
- Spleen surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Adrenal surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Anti-reflux (GERD) surgery (Nissen, etc.)
- Achalasia surgery (Heller myotomy)
- Stomach surgery
- Intestinal surgery (small bowel)
- Colon surgery
- Diverticular disease
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Peri-anal diseases
- Hemorrhoid treatment
- Other peri-anal diseases (abscess, fistula, fissure, etc.)
- Skin and soft tissue biopsies and excisions (lipoma, etc.)
- Melanoma excision
- Endoscopy (EGD, flexible sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy)
Treating a person with breast disease requires skill, up-to-date techniques, modern diagnostic and therapeutic equipment, attention to detail, and care and compassion for the patient. The surgeons of Surgical Services - Hickory provide leading-edge treatment for benign and malignant diseases of the breast, with the convenience of a multidisciplinary breast center.
Some of the breast procedures that we provide include:
• Diagnostic ultrasound imaging, in a private setting within our office
• Image-guided biopsy techniques, ultrasound-guided or stereotactic
• Breast biopsy, with core needle or open surgical technique where appropriate
• Breast conservation treatment for cancer
• Sentinel lymph node biopsy techniques, to avoid lymph node dissections where appropriate
• Long-term follow up for breast cancer patients
A hernia is a bulge or protrusion, usually in the abdominal wall or groin area, that can sometimes cause pain or lead to other complications.
The surgeons of Surgical Services - Hickory provide expert care for hernias. We can help you decide if your hernia requires surgery, and if needed we can perform surgical repair with the best available modern techniques.
• Inguinal hernia - typical groin hernias
• Femoral hernia - also in the groin area
• Incisional hernia - a hernia in a prior surgical scar
• Spigelian hernia - occur in a specific place in the lower abdomen; less common
• Lumbar hernia - hernias in the lower back muscles (not in the spine)
• Obturator hernia - occur in a specific place in the pelvis
Hernia surgery can nearly always be offered with a minimally invasive, laparoscopic technique. This approach offers some cosmetic advantage, but more importantly may lead to a quicker recovery from surgery and return to work.
Colon and Gastro-intestinal Surgery
Minimally invasive procedures for intestinal diseases are rapidly gaining acceptance as the preferred approach. Whether for benign or malignant disease, laparoscopic surgery generally is associated with a quicker recovery after surgery. The surgeons at Surgical Services - Hickory have performed hundreds of these operations with excellent results.
Some of the procedures for colon and gastrointestinal diseases include:
• Colonoscopy for colon cancer screening or surveillance
• Colectomy, for diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease or colon cancer
• Low anterior resection for maintaining continence with rectal cancers
• Small intestinal procedures
• Gastrectomy for ulcer disease, benign tumors, or cancer
Surgical Services - Hickory offers advanced treatment options for people with cancer. We specialize in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of breast cancer, colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, thyroid cancer, adrenal cancer, skin cancer/melanoma, soft tissue cancer such as sarcoma, and others.
Often diagnostic procedures, such as breast biopsy, can be offered with a minimally invasive technique – using a needle puncture instead of a large incision.
State-of-the-art techniques, from sentinel lymph node biopsy to minimal radiation treatment (MammoSite), are offered when appropriate.
We work closely with our medical oncology and radiation oncology colleagues to provide a treatment plan that is individualized for each patient.
We provide comprehensive care to persons with vascular diseases – conditions that are the result of injury or disease to the blood vessels. Our doctors are thoroughly trained and experienced in the diagnosis of vascular disease, and provide a full range of treatment options – including surgical and non-operative measures.
We treat the person, not just the disease. This involves a detailed discussion of your symptoms, consideration of other medical problems, and accurate diagnostic tests, to create a treatment plan tailored to the individual. It is crucial that the patient have a good understanding of the disease process, natural course of the disease, and have realistic expectations of the outcomes likely from the recommended treatment. Vascular diseases are often monitored for an extended period of time, making the doctor-patient relationship a crucial issue.
We specialize in the surgical treatment endocrine disorders such as thyroid disorders (including thyroid cancer), adrenal tumors (including adrenal adenoma or cancer), and endocrine tumors of the pancreas.
Some of procedures we perform include:
• Thyroid ultrasound
• Thyroid biopsy (ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration or FNA)
• Thyroidectomy (either one lobe or total)
• Parathyroidectomy (single or sub-total)
• Adrenalectomy (laparoscopic)
• Pancreatectomy (laparoscopic)
Our board-certified surgeons offer leading-edge techniques in the detection, diagnosis, and treatment of these diseases.
Weight Loss Surgery
The surgical weight loss program at Surgical Services - Hickory provides a vital service for patients who suffer from morbid obesity. We offer gastric bypass surgery, adjustable gastric band procedure (Lap-Band or Realize Band), and the sleeve gastrectomy, all with a minimally-invasive laparoscopic approach.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Laparoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgical technique, performed through smaller incisions. This technique often minimizes blood loss and post-operative pain while speeding recovery times. The doctors at Surgical Services - Hickory are highly skilled in current laparoscopic techniques.
• Laparoscopic cholecystectomy – gallbladder removal
• Laparoscopic colectomy – removal of a portion of the colon
• Laparoscopic appendectomy – removal of the appendix
• Laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication – anti-reflux surgery
• Laparoscopic solid organ surgery – liver, adrenal gland, spleen
• Laparoscopic weight loss surgery – gastric bypass, Lap-Band, sleeve gastrectomy
Our services are not just limited to the listed items. There are many other procedures that we offer. If you have any questions about whether we offer a particular procedure, contact us at (828) 327-9178.