Coding Compliance Coordinator | HR 503142 B
Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Coding Compliance Coordinator
Job ID: 4830
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Advanced Practical-ClinicalWinston-Salem, NCAdvanced Practical-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare11/14/2013Coding Compliance CoordinatorFull-time Regular FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Original Date: Last Revision: August 2013 JOB SUMMARY: This coding leadership position coordinates all activities related to compliance, quality assurance, and education with the medical coding management staff by...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Coding-Compliance-Coordinator-4830.htm
Coding Compliance Coordinator
Full-time Regular FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Last Revision: August 2013
This coding leadership position coordinates all activities related to compliance, quality assurance, and education with the medical coding management staff by applying advanced coding knowledge to improve overall quality and completeness of clinical documentation of patient records. Performs duties and conducts interpersonal relationships in a manner promoting a harmonious work environment by working collaboratively with physicians, Clinical Documentation Consultants, coders and management
3-5 years production coding experience in related work types; 1 year in lead position preferred
Associate or Bachelor of Arts/Sciences Degree preferred
Manager, Medical Coding
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, and/or REGISTRATION:
RHIA, RHIT, or CCS (IP) required for facility coordinator
RHIA, RHIT, CCS-P, CPC-H required for outpatient hospital coordinator
RHIA, RHIT, or CCS-P, or CPC required for professional coding coordinator
1. Provide second level concurrent review of cases for the purpose of ensuring compliant medical record reviews and physician queries by coding staff.
2. Facilitate quality assurance activities related to coding activities. This includes second levels reviews as well as assisting in monitoring of coder?s quality and production standards. Works closely with physicians, nurses, management, and coding staff for second level reviews related to hospital acquired conditions and other defined metrics.
3. Knowledge of Encoding/Abstracting/Grouping and Compliance Software.
4. Perform thorough second level chart review of concurrent and discharged cases to identify comorbidities and complications and any other potential secondary diagnosis for profiling purposes and documentation of second level findings appropriately. Work with Quality team and Clinical Documentation Management Program (CDMP) team as necessary to improve clinical documentation and coding while maintaining compliance.
5. Act as a coding expert resource for Physicians, Clinical Documentation Consultants and Medical Coders.
6. Maintain awareness of and work to facilitate optimal outcomes in the CDMP performance and compliance goals. Effectively identify documentation and coding issues providing follow up and working with CDC and Coding teams as well as management until improvement is seen
7. Facilitate utilization of software systems by medical coders in order to ensure the standardization of data entry and the effectiveness of the data. Maintain integrity of data collection by ensuring accurate data entry. Demonstrate competence in navigation of software. Utilize software as a resource. Work closely with IS to develop and monitor reports.
8. Maintain competencies as a coding reviewer in order to provide coverage for medical coding staff in case of unplanned staffing needs.
9. Collaborate with Medical Center Coders and Clinical Documentation Consultants to facilitate discussion of difficult cases, review latest coding advice and items affecting clinical documentation management program. Works closely with Coding Education leadership to provide feedback and education to coders related to compliant coding.
Well organized and detail-oriented.
Coaching/staff development skills.
Experience preparing/presenting in-service education, preferred.
Experience developing policies/procedures and institutional coding guidelines.
Preferred one year quality review/auditing experience.
Familiarity with documentation improvement initiatives.
Ability to accept and incorporate critical comment.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills and critical thinking skills.
Ability to positively influence colleagues in performance achievement of the program.
Working knowledge of Medicare Prospective Payment Methodologies (MS-DRGs, APCs) and coding structures preferred.
Knowledge of care delivery documentation systems and related medical record documents.
Strong broad-based coding knowledge and understanding of anatomy. AHIMA ICD-10-CM/PCS trainer certification preferred.
Demonstrates integrity and compliance in daily work.
Ability to work independently in a time-oriented environment.
Computer literacy and familiarity with the operation of basic office equipment. Including 3M HDM product.
Assertive personality traits to facilitate ongoing coder, CDC and physician communication.
Ability to stand and walk in the performance of job responsibilities
Subject to many interruptions
Subject to irregular hours
Clean, well lit, comfortable environment (office space)
Moderate noise environment
High stress level at time
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.