Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Manager, Safety&Industrial Hygiene
Job ID: 5716
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Professional / ManagementWinston-Salem, NCProfessional / Management, Medical, Healthcare1/21/2014Environmental Health and SafetyFull-time regular, 40 hours/weekJob Summary: Plans, directs and manages the safety and industrial hygiene function under senior management guidance. At the operational level directs the work of technical professionals. Establishes programs to ensure...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Manager,-Safety-Industrial-Hygiene-5716.htm
Environmental Health and Safety
Full-time regular, 40 hours/week
Job Summary: Plans, directs and manages the safety and industrial hygiene function under senior management guidance. At the operational level directs the work of technical professionals. Establishes programs to ensure compliance with all general safety, biological safety, industrial hygiene and occupational health regulatory and accreditation standards. Responsible for the establishment and achievement of goals and objectives in consonance with Medical Center protocols, regulatory, accreditation and consensus standards and academic medical center best practices. Responsible for program development and operational safety and industrial hygiene functions in clinical, research and administrative work environments.
Education / Experience:
Master's Degree in Safety Engineering, Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health and Safety, or related field and 5 years of experience, or a Bachelor's degree in one of these fields with 9 years of related experience; At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration:
Certified Industrial Hygienist and/or Certified Safety Professional preferred.
Other safety, health or industrial hygiene credential or training certifications (i.e., Associate Safety Professional or Occupational Safety and Health Technologist) will be considered.
1. Adhere to medical center and departmental standards, policies and procedures.
2. Administer a safety program that promotes a safe environment for patient care, education and research. Develop and implement programs that facilitate compliance with all regulatory and accreditation agencies e.g. TJC, OSHA, CDC, CMS, CARF, NCDENR, NFPA, NIH. Develop goals and objectives in support of the safety management plan and institutional goals related to general safety and industrial hygiene. Provide strategic and timely reporting to institutional committees, department management, and senior leadership
3. Administer and coordinate institutional occupational injury and illness prevention program in consultation with Employee Health Services and Risk Management's Worker's Compensation. Such a program will involve, at a minimum, the elements of accident investigation, mitigation. and analysis
4. Develop, recommend, and implement programs and procedures for monitoring, minimizing or preventing acute and chronic exposure to chemical, physical, biological and environmental hazards, e.g. noise, toxic vapors, particulates, biological pathogens. Provide consultative direction and serve as resource to architects and engineers in developing requirements for air handling, biosafety cabinets, chemical fume hoods and other modes of ventilation for processing, storing, using or disposal of materials. Establish required sampling, monitoring, calibration and certification processes in support of such programs.
5. Collaborate with educational professional(s) to develop safety and industrial hygiene educational and training programs. Ensure that required programs and training are implemented, evaluated and monitored. Publish clear information (programs, policies, forms, manuals, instructions) to all constituencies by assorted means: SharePoint, Web, email newsletters, automated reminders.
6. Provide administrative support and consultative direction for the comprehensive Biosafety program and the Biosafety Officer which includes Institutional Biosafety Committee management, advocacy for biosafety resources and industrial hygiene consultation and technical support.
7. Establish the process, standards and the coordination for assessing risk (audit or environmental tour programs) for all work environments. Address mission related requirements set forth by regulatory and accreditation agencies. Provide strategic and timely reporting to institutional committees. Includes clinical, research and administrative locations and activities. Develop and implement processes to manage, track and correct non-conformance.
8. Supervise the review of new construction, renovation and acquisition projects in matters pertaining to safety and industrial hygiene. Monitor contractor activities to ensure compliance with required guidelines (OSHA, TJC, NFPA, state and local fire and building codes and state rules, etc.)
9. Respond (24/7) in support of disaster or emergency situations occurring on Medical Center property, such as: chemical spills/leaks; fire; bomb threats; Code Triage; WMD/NBC incidents and/or other threats to the institution.
10. Manage personnel and finances for the safety and industrial hygiene section. Anticipate emerging operational and capital equipment needs. Prepare financial justification for such needs.
Skills and Qualifications:
Broad knowledge and understanding of safety, health and environmental regulatory standards.
Comprehensive knowledge of the disciplines of industrial hygiene and occupational safety.
The ability to communicate accurately and credibly both verbally and in writing.
The ability to utilize software in the development of a safety and industrial hygiene program which is driven by the access, evaluation and measurement of data.
Requires multi-disciplinary cooperation and communication across both disparate and parallel work environments: clinical, research and industrial.
This position is on call 24 hours per day and must be able to respond to all types of emergency situations.
Ability to speak publicly in a variety of instructive situations.
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
Works with materials which are Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH)
Exposed to hazardous chemicals, toxic agents, and radioactive materials
Must be able to wear a variety of personal protective equipment in a variety of environmental conditions
May be exposed to bloodborne pathogens
Works in precarious or high locations periodically
Moderate to high noise environment
Work climate varies from clean and well lit to wet, dark, and constricting spaces
Subject to many interruptions and crowded conditions
Exposed to unpleasant conditions such as accidents, injuries, illness, and anatomical research
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.