Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: RN Patient Navigator - WFHS Neurology
Job ID: 5301
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Nursing-ClinicalWinston-Salem, NCNursing-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare12/13/2013Pediatric Neurology is seeking an RN Patient Navigator to assist patients and their families navigate the healthcare system and locate community resources and education so that they will receive timely and appropriate treatment for Epilepsy. Job Code / Title: 8453 / RN - Patient Navigator...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Patient-Navigator---WFHS-Neurology-5301.htm
Pediatric Neurology is seeking an RN Patient Navigator to assist patients and their families navigate the healthcare system and locate community resources and education so that they will receive timely and appropriate treatment for Epilepsy.
Job Code / Title: 8453 / RN - Patient Navigator
Original Date: Oct 2006
Last Revision: July 2013
The Registered Nurse Patient Navigator will guide patients through the healthcare system, establishing contact with pediatric epilepsy patients and/or family member, or caregiver. The Patient Navigator will understand the clinical pathways established by the Pediatric Epilepsy Program and will direct the patients to health care services within the organization and within the community for timely diagnosis and effective treatment. The Patient Navigator will actively identify and address barriers to care that might keep the patient from receiving timely and appropriate treatment for their epilepsy diagnosis. The Patient Navigator assists the patient and Pediatric Neurology physicians in gaining control of their epilepsy.
The Patient Navigator will work closely with community based service providers to identify and address community needs for education about epilepsy, seizure prevention, seizure medications and seizure first aid.
The Patient Navigator will be responsible for ongoing evaluation and quality improvement of the Navigator Program and will track all activity as defined by the departmental and program standards.
Education / Experience:
Graduate from an accredited school of nursing, BSN required, minimum two years experience as a registered nurse in a pediatric setting, experience in neurology preferred.
Reports To: Medical Director, Pediatric Neurology
Licensure, Certification and / or Registration: Current licensure to practice as Registered Nurse in North Carolina. Certification desirable.
1. Utilizes the nursing process to provide patient/family centered care focusing on the physical, emotional, spiritual, cultural, religious, and environmental needs. This includes providing for the assessment, development of nursing diagnoses, outcome identification, planning, implementation of interventions, coordination of care, health teaching and promotion and evaluation of goals and interventions consistent with the policies of WFBMC.
2. Coordinates the effective and efficient delivery of patient care services through the application of care management principles. Identifies clinical priorities and initiates action to improve patient outcomes. Acts as a patient advocate throughout the continuum of care including all patient settings and in the community.
3. Documents in accordance with departmental reporting standards. Collects and maintains up to date and accurate program data and documentation according to program standards. Delivers reports which demonstrates outcomes and performance improvement activities.
4. Demonstrates the ability to function in a professional setting through active participation in a professional practice model. This includes participating in shared governance, adherence to standards of care, participation in peer review and professional development promoting leadership and clinical excellence, effective team skills, autonomous practice and acknowledgment of accountability for actions and critical thinking.
5. Communicates effectively to promote sharing of information throughout the continuum of care and as an effective member of the healthcare team.
6. Provides age/developmentally appropriate patient care in accordance with Age-Specific guidelines for the specific age groups served.
Skills and Qualifications:
1. Requires problem solving, decision making and critical thinking
2. Must be able to work in a self-directed environment, with ability to work with and lead teams.
3. Demonstrates ability to work in fast paced environment with multiple interruptions.
4. Bilingual preference with fluency in Spanish desirable.
5. Expertise in MS Office and ability to efficiently and frequently prepare program reports required.
Amount of time spent performing the following activities:
0% 35% 65%
to to to
35% 65% 100% N/A Activity
X Reaching with arms
X Finger and hand dexterity
Lifting, carrying, pushing and or pulling:
X 20 lbs. maximum
X 50 lbs. maximum
X 100 lbs. maximum
Clean, well lit, comfortable
May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
May be exposed to/occasionally exposed to patient illnesses
Occasionally subjected to irregular hours (evenings and weekends)
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.