Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Patient Service Representative--Bi-lingual Spanish
Job ID: 3642
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Category: Advanced Practical-Clinical
Location: Winston Salem, NC North CarolinaAdvanced Practical-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare8/3/2013Job Summary: This position gathers/verifies demographic, employment, insurance information and chief medical complaint for the patient. all task and/or functions in the registration role are to fulfill the departments through timeliness, accuracy and courtesy.this is a PRN position to...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Patient-Service-Representative--Bi-lingual-Spanish-3642.htm
Job Summary: This position gathers/verifies demographic, employment, insurance information and chief medical complaint for the patient. all task and/or functions in the registration role are to fulfill the departments through timeliness, accuracy and courtesy.
this is a PRN position to work in the after hours clinic at the downtown health plaza. hours available are M - F 5 pm - 8 pm. Sat 9 am - 1pm. Sun 1 pm - 5 pm. Additional hours during regular operating hours may be available.
Applicant must be bi-lingual (Spanish)
Education/Experience: High School Grad. No experience required
Reports to: Varies
Licensure, Certification and/or Registration: n/a
Prioritizes registrations in the order of the patients' acuity level determined by the clinical staff where appropriate.
Interviews patient and/or family member to gather demographic, insurance and visit specific information, verifying data that may have been received from previous visits. Ensuring accurate input of data. Obtain consents, both written and verbal when appropriate.
Maximizes collection of money by requesting collection of co-payments and personal pay accounts, referring patients to Financial Counselors for assistance.
Maintains patient/family/customer communication and professionalism. Gathering accurate and complete patient information with privacy, sensitivity, respect and compassion. Ensuring information related to patients visit are available as needed.
Develops and maintains knowledge and skills to identify insurance plans correctly in system and understanding contract requirements, maintaining updated insurance information.
Reconciles and reviews charge tickets and coding sheets for completeness. Entering charges online and performs balancing process.
Maintains professional development, identifying learning needs and attending training courses as identified.
Skills and Qualifications:
Medical terminology preferred
Computer skills to include word processing required
Strong interpersonal skills required
Good verbal and non-verbal communication skills required
Ability to work with Web-based programs for insurance notification and benefits
Strong organizational skills
Customer Service oriented
Bilingual (Spanish) required
PATIENT SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE 2270
FUNCTION OF JOB
Perform a variety of duties associated with patient registration and check-out operations and cash collections. To present a positive, friendly and caring attitude to patients and staff throughout WFUHS.
1. Welcome patient and family members upon arrival. Coordinate telephone communications, and provide requested information or triage call accordingly. Follow WFUP Clinical Standards to promote a cooperative work and patient care environment.
2. Arrive patient appointments in the IDX computerized scheduling system. Complete registration information promptly with 97% accuracy, including patient demographics, insurance information, employer information, emergency contact information and other required data in the IDX registration screen. Ask patient to verify accuracy of registration data.
3. Enter and verify insurance information in IDX. Copy/scan patient's insurance card for the patient's medical record and the WFUP Business Office. Evaluate insurance coverage, patient account balance, and Bad Debit Indicators. Refer patient for financial counseling as needed.
4. Prepare patient encounter form and obtain patient signatures
5. Interact with insurance companies for benefit verification as required during registration process. Determine if referrals or prior authorizations are required. Obtain referrals or prior authorizations as necessary. Verify and update existing referrals and authorization data. Work with WFUP Patient Services Center to obtain referrals as needed. Obtain verification for Worker's Compensation claims with patients' employers and process claims according to employer requirements.
6. Collect co-pays/self payments and account balances (whenever possible). Provide patient receipt for amount paid. Post payments in the IDX billing database.
7. Maintain a complete and accurate cash journal. Balance monies collected daily. Reconcile accounting ledgers. Deposit monies to the WFUP Business Office at the close of each business day.
8. Schedule appointments for patients who arrive without one, and obtain necessary referrals and authorizations.
9. Perform patient check out and schedule follow-up appointments.
10. Assist with patient flow through the practice.
11. Initiate and facilitate the resolution of patient issues and complaints utilizing other Medical Center professionals as needed. Practice excellent customer service skills. Accommodate patient's special needs (e.g., interpreter).
12. Complete required educational programs to remain current on job responsibilities and fulfill compliance requirements. Successfully complete the WFUP Certification Program. Complete re-certification requirements as required by Clinical Operations.
13. Attend and participate in the development of the WFUP Clinical Operations Departmental meetings regularly.
14. Perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND GIVEN
Oral and/or written instructions are received from supervision.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. High School graduate or recognized equivalent.
2. Three years of clerical experience including front desk responsibilities.
3. Medical terminology.
4. Knowledge of third party payor requirements.
5. Computer skills including keyboard and mouse functions, e-mail, and Microsoft Office.
6. Data entry accuracy of 5000 kph with 3% or less error rate.
7. Basic knowledge of ICD-9 and CPT coding or willingness to complete these courses upon employment.
8. Successful completion of the WFUP Point of Service Certification program. Maintain certification as required by Clinical Operations.
9. Excellent communication skills with ability to deal effectively with patients, their families, and insurance companies.
10. Knowledge of obtaining pre-certifications from insurance companies.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience using IDX scheduling.
2. Experience with Medipac and LastWord.
3. Experience with managed care or health insurance company.
4. Accounting experience.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.