Research Lab Technician II | Physiology_Pharmacology
Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Research Lab Technician II
Job ID: 5298
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Category: Laboratory / Animal CareWinston-Salem, NCLaboratory / Animal Care, Medical, Healthcare12/11/2013PHYSIOLOGY/PHARMACOLOGY Full-time Regular, 40 hours/week Administer medical treatments to NHP as directed by PI or senior NHP staff member Order lab supplies to maintain proper inventory (chemicals, surgical supplies, animal enrichment/food, etc) Responsible to enter PeopleSoft...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Research-Lab-Technician-II-5298.htm
Full-time Regular, 40 hours/week
- Administer medical treatments to NHP as directed by PI or senior NHP staff member
- Order lab supplies to maintain proper inventory (chemicals, surgical supplies, animal enrichment/food, etc)
- Responsible to enter PeopleSoft requisitions to purchase supplies, materials and equipment as instructed by PI
- Adhere to proper use of enrichment procedures to fit within the guidelines of the ACUC protocol
- Monitor health of NHPs while keeping detailed records of physiological measures and behavioral procedures
- Maintain mandatory written and online records of enrichment, surgery, and medical treatments
- As required, assist senior lab staff to prepare sterile drug solutions, administer drugs subcutaneously, intramuscularly, and intravenously collect blood samples
- Maintain and sanitize laboratory equipment unique to NHP research
- Provide routine animal care and maintain animal housing facility
- Knowledge of Microsoft word, excel, and power point, sigma plot and sigma stat, & Med PC
- Collect, organize, prepare, and analyze data for presentation and publication
Minimum Qualifications: Please see generic description below
Note: This position contains grant funding which may limit the duration of the job. Specific time frames vary based on the type and length of the grant and will be discussed during the interview. RESEARCH LABORATORY TECHNICIAN II 4428
FUNCTION OF JOB
Under direct supervision from a higher level technician or a principal investigator, perform a variety of moderately complex and generally standardized physical, chemical, or biological tests with procedures and techniques previously outlined by established protocols and other scientific data. Provide direction and guidance to lower classified personnel.
1. Conduct generally standardized chemical, physical, and biological tests on experimental/clinical materials; make micro-analysis, lipids analysis, enzyme studies, and chromatographic studies on various types of tissues, secretions, and excretions.
2. Setup equipment and organize materials used in performing scheduled tests, experiments, and/or operations.
3. Select the appropriate experimental/clinical format from established standard formats; prepare simple charts, graphs, and reports from data obtained during research experiments and observations of research subjects.
4. Isolate and identify various microorganisms through established laboratory techniques.
5. Train and demonstrate to graduate students, medical students, and other technical personnel, a variety of technical procedures.
6. Take blood samples, pressures, and other specimens and measurements as required by research/clinical protocols; inoculate research animals with various pathogens; perform minor animal surgery.
7. Collect tissues and specimens for laboratory analysis; obtain samples, prepare, mount, and stain tissue, blood, and other substances for microscopic examinations.
8. Review scientific journals, abstracts, and other publications for information applicable to research projects.
9. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND GIVEN
Oral and/or written instructions are received from supervision. Provide direction and guidance to lower classified personnel.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Graduation from a four-year college or university with a major in biology, chemistry, zoology, or other science related to the assigned research field.
2. Graduation from high school and four years of related clinical/ research experience, whichever applicable for position to be filled.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.