Sleep Technologist (Registerd) | Sleep Disorders
Job Title: Sleep Technologist (Registerd)
Job ID: 4132
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Category: Allied Health-Tech
Location: Winston SAlem, NC North Carolina
North CarolinaBaptist Hospital
Registered Sleep Technologist - Part-time PRN (as needed)
Sleep Laboratory/Diagnostic Neurology
Provides high quality technical neurodiagnostic services appropriate to age of patient which contributes to positive patient outcome. Maintains cooperative working relationship with other departments and members of the medical system. Educates patients and their significant others in a manner to assure understanding. Ensures the continuous delivery of high quality patient care by consistently seeking new knowledge and application of skills obtained.
- Adheres to the general hospital standards to promote a cooperative work environment by utilizing communication skills, interpersonal relationships and team building
- Follows hospital policies and procedures
- Follows departmental policies and procedures
- Contributes to the overall quality of services
- Assumes responsibility for keeping informed about changes in policies and procedures
- Performs and/or assists in performing quality procedures in field of Sleep Disorders Medicine
- Performs quality procedures using skilled techniques while following prescribed safety regulations and established protocols
- Provides patient education and obtains pertinent medical history
- Recognizes abnormalities and artifacts and takes appropriate action to enhance, eliminate and/or monitor
- Ensures the readiness of procedure rooms prior to and following examinations
- Provides emergency on-call coverage according to departmental policies
- Performs clinical studies in a timely and efficient manner, insuring consistent workflow and high level of productivity
- Obtains appropriate data management and documentation and utilizes hospital resources appropriately.
- Utilizes departmental data management system for accurate input of all documentation; start and end of procedures, notes, charges, preliminaries, patient information
- Manages/secures all patient documentation in an accurate manner, complying with all HIPPA regulations, and ensuring documentation has appropriate name, medical record number and procedure number
- Records/collects data accurately for reporting results of Quality Improvement monitors
- Personnel documentation is completed accurately and in a timely manner without prompting; includes PTO, Overtime, Missed punches
- Documents Patient/Family Education outcomes on appropriate forms, obtains signed consent forms and encourages/obtains patient satisfaction surveys
- Hospital resources are utilized appropriately and for the purpose for which they were intended
- Communicates in an effective manner to provide efficient and quality services with high customer satisfaction.
- Maintains an effective rapport with patients, family members, co-workers and customers in a compassionate and professional manner
- Communicates and interacts with physicians on a professional level
- Develops and maintains communication with others to effectively plan and coordinate work activities
- Demonstrates effective teamwork skills to promote a cooperative work environment, assisting others as needed
- Confidentiality is recognized at all times while handling sensitive information
- Participates in educational activities to enhance patient care and quality.
- Maintains appropriate education / credentials to accomplish work objectives
- Provides instruction, education and consultation to health care personnel, patients and community to promote and improve quality of patient care
- Participates in special projects to enhance the delivery of services such as outcome studies, research and publications
- Regularly attends reading sessions, inservices staff meetings and conferences
- Participates in organized training programs, provides instruction to staff on proper techniques, procedures and equipment
6. Performs appropriate equipment management including operations and maintenance.
- Equipment is kept in a state of readiness and in it's proper place
- Equipment is clean and has preventive maintenance performed in a timely manner
- Equipment competency check-off is accomplished in a timely manner and employee is able to operate all equipment in their area of responsibility
- Interaction with Clinical Equipment Management occurs to reduce downtime
- Malfunctions and concerns are reported on the Equipment Problem Analysis Forms
- Utilizes appropriate competencies, guidelines and environment for safe patient care. Provides age/developmental appropriate patient care in accordance with Age/Developmental Specific Care Guidelines for the specific age group served.
- Protects self, co-workers, customers and facility by routinely following approved policies/procedures, age specific guidelines, universal precautions and is compliant with work practice controls/engineering controls/personal protective equipment.
- Promotes a safe work environment by maintaining work area and supplies in a clean and efficient manner according to protocols
- Identifies life-threatening situations and carries out emergency care as allowed by the scope of the job
- Attends all required in-services without prompting and maintains CPR certification
- Always obtains orders in accordance with policy and procedure relative to sedation/restraints; does not leave patient unattended, confirms patient's chart and/or identity, using appropriate skills assessment to meet the patient's needs.
Less than 35% of the time
From 35% to 65% of the time
More than 65% of the time
Applying electrodes, probes, prepping patient
To test rooms, to patient rooms
Recording data, paperwork
Adjusting bed rails, patient care
Reaching with Arms
Applying transducers or electrodes, assisting patient
Finger and Hand Dexterity
Communicating with patient physician, family, etc.
Obtaining medical history, talking on the phone
Patient preparation, data collection, archival
Lifting/Carrying/Pushing and/or Pulling
Light Work - Lifting 20 lbs. Maximum
Medium Work - Lifting 50 lbs. Maximum
Supplies, patients, records etc.
Heavy Work - Lifting 100 lbs. Maximum
- Clean, well-lit, comfortable environment
- Low noise
- Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
- Exposure to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries, illness)
- Exposure to odorous chemicals
- Exposure to flammable, explosive gases
- Occasional exposure to bloodborne pathogens
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
- Required personal protective equipment: eye and face protection, gown, mask, lab coat, sterile and nonsterile gloves, shoe covers.
- Completion of an acceptable program in clinical neurophysiological technology and/or 24 months' experience in the field. Incumbent must be board registered by the Sleep Disorders Association of Polysomnographic Technologists. Completion of a four-year degree in a related field may be considered.
- At least 24 months' experience preferred in lieu of a training program
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration:
- Board registeredin Polysomnography by the Association of Polysomnographic Technologists
Skills and Qualifications:
- Technical skills in performance of Sleep Disorders.
- Ability to communicate on a professional level with physicians, nurses, and other ancillary professional staff when discussing neurophysiological technology and related areas.
- Ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with public, patients, physicians, and other medical center staff.
REGISTERED SLEEP TECHNOLOGIST 4434
FUNCTION OF JOB
Under general supervision, administer various sleep studies for use in diagnosis and research.
1. Perform routine patient assessments.
2. Perform polysomnographic data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are appropriate. Make necessary adjustments.
3. Set up and calibrate equipment required for testing.
4. Apply electrodes and sensors according to established procedures.
5. Follow lights out process and follow appropriate study protocol in administering tests.
6. Document routine observations, including sleep stages and clinical events, changes in procedures, and other significant events to facilitate scoring and interpretation of results.
7. Implement appropriate interventions, including actions for human subject safety.
8. Follow lights on process and verify integrity of collected data and complete the data collection process.
9. Provide instruction to research subjects regarding questionnaire(s).
10. Score sleep/wake stages by applying professionally established guidelines. Score clinical event with center specific protocols.
11. Generate accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical event data.
12. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND GIVEN
Oral and/or written instructions are received from supervision.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Registered Polysomnographic Technologist by the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists.
2. Excellent verbal communication skills.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
1. Experience administering a variety of sleep studies.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.