Wake Forest Baptist Health
Job Title: Staff Nurse II (p-t) Hem/Onc PBC Elkin/ Mt Airy
Job ID: 5799
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Category: Nursing-ClinicalWinston-Salem, NCNursing-Clinical, Medical, Healthcare1/30/2014EXPERIENCED RN - Part-time position. BSN preferred, BCLS required.POSITION DESCRIPTION: Staff Nurse IISatellite Ambulatory Clinic Nurse - Mt. AiryPURPOSE: To provide a cohesive patient support environment in an out-patient clinical setting involving routine examinations, chemotherapy,...http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/Staff-Nurse-II-(p-t)-Hem/Onc-PBC-Elkin/-Mt-Airy-5799.htm
EXPERIENCED RN - Part-time position. BSN preferred, BCLS required.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Staff Nurse II
Satellite Ambulatory Clinic Nurse - Mt. Airy
PURPOSE: To provide a cohesive patient support environment in an out-patient clinical setting involving routine examinations, chemotherapy, and adjuvant support, and to serve as a resource for the surrounding medical community.
Staff Nurse II (p-t)
- Order medication, medical supplies and office supplies using cost – effective measures.
- To administer chemotherapy according to protocol guidelines and/or doctor's orders
- To mix chemotherapy in accordance with “Cancer Chemotherapy Guidelines” and/or protocol utilizing the Biological Safety Cabinet Laminar Flow Hood according to Safe Handling Guidelines. To clean hood daily according to policy and procedure
- IV.To evaluate the patient for possible toxicities induced by chemotherapy and adjust doses accordingly.
- To provide patient and family education, both verbally and with written materials (i.e. disease processes, treatment modalities, and possible toxicities). The nurse is also responsible for obtaining informed consent from patients receiving chemotherapy.
- To administer blood and blood products, which includes typing and cross-matching the patient.
- To act as a liaison between the clinic and the hospital oncology team.
- To check and record patient's vital signs, height, and weight and to review results of laboratory data and x-rays, determining abnormalities and showing these to the attending physician if necessary.
- To charge patient for appropriate chemotherapy drugs and procedures.
- To draw all blood samples and process CBC's. To obtain other blood samples and send to appropriate labs for processing.
- Maintain accountability of all controlled substances according to federal and state law.
- To insure the proper functioning of the emergency cart which includes restocking supplies and checking expiration dates of all medications, trays, and equipment.
- Act as a liaison for clinic by attending meetings and reporting to appropriate personnel as necessary.
- To attend refresher courses given by the Hematology/Oncology Nurse Educator and to maintain current CPR certification.
- To change central venous catheter dressings, draw lab work, and/or de-clot catheters if problems arise.
- To clean and restock treatment and examination rooms.
- Verify insurance coverage and perform pre-certification if necessary.
- Assist patients in finding drug assistance programs to help defray cost of medications not covered by insurance.
- Maintain open communication with office physician and staff to provide excellent patient care.
- Accomplish responsibilities through teamwork and through continuous quality improvement.
- To be responsible for the development or revision of policies and procedures directly related to the clinic with final approval from the Director of Nursing.
- To work with various team members of the Elkin clinic and cross cover with the Elkin nurses as needed.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must complete the application process and then submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button located at the bottom of the page titled "Submit Online Application". You will receive the following message once you hit the submit button: "You have successfully submitted your job application".
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336) 716-0175. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to administer all educational and employment activities without discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state, national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center strives to provide best-in-class nursing care to our patients. To continue to provide such high quality services, meet internal targets and comply with ACCN Magnet requirements for a plan to increase BSN staff to 80% by 2020, WFBMC desires to employ nurses who have achieved, or will achieve, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. WFBMC will provide nurses who have earned an Associate Degree in Nursing a period of five (5) years from the date of hire to meet that educational requirement.