8th Women’s Health and Sex Differences Research Day
Gender Gap: Pain & Addiction"
April 6, 2017, 8:00 am – 3:00 pm
Bowman Gray Center for Medical
475 Vine Street, Winston-Salem, NC
One of the
missions of the Office of Women in Medicine and Science (OWIMS) is to develop
and implement programs to promote women’s health and sex differences
research. Women’s Health Research Day is
one of the ways we achieve this mission, by showcasing the achievements of
investigators in the topic area. This year, we seek to stimulate
integrative discussion and cross-disciplinary collaboration to promote
translational research in women’s health as it relates to pain and addiction.
Susan Appt, DVM (Conference
Chair) and other members of the Research & Education Subcommittee of the
Women in Medicine Standing Committee, Drs.
Cynthia Emory, Ashley Weaver, David Caudell, Nancy Denizard-Thompson, Allyn
Howlett, Sara Jones, Emily Pharr, Hossam Shaltout, Sarah Berga, Debi Griffith,
Lynne Wagenknecht, and Marcia Wofford
by the Office of Women in Medicine and Science
Translational Science Institute (CTSI)
Department of Anesthesiology
of Internal Medicine
of Obstetrics & Gynecology
of Social Sciences & Health Policy
Physiology & Pharmacology
Center for Research on Substance Use and Addiction
- Keynote Speaker: Jill Becker, Ph.D,
Patricia Y. Gurin Collegiate Professor of Psychology, Research Professor Molecular
& Behavioral Neuroscience Institute, University of Michigan
- Plenary Speaker: Charles Carson, PhD, ABPP, Robert H. and Anna B. Culton Endowed Professor of Psychology, University of Kentucky College of Arts & Sciences
K. Brooks, MD Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Lexington
Medical Center, Pain Center Director
(Holden) Ko, PhD, Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, WFSM
Nader, PhD, Professor, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology, WFSM;
Co-Director of Center for Research on Substance Use and Addiction
B. Penzien, PhD, Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, WFSM
Pylipow, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics, WFSM
- Kathleen Egan, Research Associate, Department of Social
Sciences and Health Policy, WFSM
are encouraged to bring an electronic device to view the conference
materials. A web page with slides and
abstracts will be provided shortly before the conference.
Health & Sex Differences Research Day is open to everyone both internally
to WFBMC and externally: all students, staff, nurses, post-docs, residents,
fellows, and faculty.
registration fee for faculty, staff and nurses is $20 - $35 after March 15th,
to be paid by cash, check (made out to WFHS) or internal transfer.
Fee waived for all students, post-docs, residents & fellows.
required at https://redcap.wakehealth.edu/redcap/surveys/?s=PFHYRK83X8.
Location and Parking
conference will take place in the Bowman
Gray Center for Medical Education on the 5th floor, in classrooms 5107 / 5206 / 5207.
Parking is available in the:
- P8 lot, located between 5th and 7th streets on N. Research Parkway (next to B-40). Open lot.
- P5 lot, located between 5th and 7th streets on N. Research Parkway (attached to 525@Vine Building. Smart badge access only. Accessible from 7th street also.
- Visitor lot, located on 5th street, immediately on the left after the railway bridge (NOT loft's parking). Press the button for security to raise the gate
Directions from the parking to the Bowman Gray Center for Medical Education:
- From the P8, P5 and Visitor lots, walk towards the 525@Vine building. Continue past that entrance and over 5th street (next to the railway tracks). Enter the BGCME buliding on the right.
For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (336)