Applying for Pain Medicine Fellowship
The Department of Anesthesiology offers a one-year fellowship in Pain Medicine. The program is fully accredited by Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and was awarded a full five year accreditation cycle in 2012.
We will be participating in the NRMP’s (National Resident Matching Program) Pain Medicine Match for the fellowship year beginning in July 2015.
Applications for the 2015-2016 Academic Year will be accepted starting March 1, 2014 and will close May 31, 2014. Interviews will be ongoing throughout the application cycle and early summer. A total of six (6) fellowship positions will be available. Additional information regarding the Match may be obtained by visiting the NRMP website.
Pain Fellowship Eligibility
Prospective candidates must have completed (by June 30th) an ACGME Accredited Residency in one of the following four medical disciplines: Anesthesiology, Neurology, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R), or Psychiatry.
Please visit our House Staff website for additional House Officer eligibility requirements. Appointees must qualify for their respective board and must obtain a full North Carolina Medical License prior to beginning fellowship on July 1, 2015.
Important: In order for your application to be considered COMPLETE and ELIGIBLE for consideration, ALL application materials must be received no later than the May 31st deadline. Do NOT send application materials to any other address than the one listed below.
Required Fellowship Application Documents:
- Universal Pain Medicine Application (PDF) – Complete all applicable sections of the application.
- Personal Statement - Your personal statement should include your short and long-term professional goals and why you are interested in pursuing a pain medicine fellowship.
- Curriculum Vitae – most current version
- USMLE or Comlex - transcript copies are acceptable
- In-Training Exam Report – most recent
- ECFMG Certificate – if applicable
- Letters of Recommendation (4) - Maximum of four letters of recommendation from individuals you list as references on page 3 of the Fellowship Application. Medical School Dean’s Letter/MSPE (photocopy from residency file is acceptable) and a letter from your Residency Program Director are required. Chair letters will not be accepted in lieu of a program director recommendation. Letters should be on letterhead with the recommender’s written signature.
Documents can be sent by either of the following methods:
- E-mailed as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mailed to:
Richard L. Rauck, MD
c/o Sherri Keith
Department of Anesthesiology
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston Salem, NC 27157-1009