This year’s Winterlark fundraiser to support cancer patients at Wake Forest Baptist Health’s Comprehensive Cancer Center was the most successful in history, raising more than $373,000 for the Cancer Patient Support Program.
Allegacy served as presenting sponsor of the 37th annual event, held Feb. 8 at Graylyn. Allegacy Chief Executive Officer Cathy Pace and spouse Chris Pace of Winston-Salem chaired the event. More than 500 people attended, and more than 100 members of the community volunteered to help stage the gala.
“Winterlark 2020 was amazing and everything we had hoped it would be,” said Cathy Pace. “These gifts will help ensure cancer patients and their families will receive the vital support they need to overcome challenges as they face cancer.”
The event’s theme—“Seeing no one faces cancer alone”—raised awareness and funds for the Cancer Patient Support Program. Boris Pasche, MD, PhD, was this year’s honoree for his work in cancer research, patient care and leadership of the Cancer Center.
“It is heartening to see an event that generates this kind of support from the community, year after year,” said Julie Ann Freischlag, MD, FACS, FRCSEd(Hon), DFSVS, chief executive officer of Wake Forest Baptist Health and dean of the Wake Forest School of Medicine. “We deeply appreciate this partnership with the community and what it means for the patients and families we care for.”
The Cancer Patient Support Program provides counseling, patient education, support groups and other services at the Cancer Center free of charge to the community. The program began in 1980 and has been widely recognized as a best-practices model for cancer centers nationwide.
“Many of the loyal Winterlark volunteers have worked for years raising the funds to address the needs of thousands of patients. Importantly, the event raises awareness of the challenges all families face with a cancer diagnosis,” said Richard McQuellon, PhD, program director. “We are deeply grateful for the heartfelt support we receive that allows us to listen carefully to patient stories and to provide for the social and psychological needs of cancer patients and their families.”
The funds raised through the event provide 50% of the program’s annual operating budget.
“Winterlark plays a key role in sustaining our Cancer Patient Support Program,” said Lisa Marshall, Wake Forest Baptist’s chief philanthropy officer and vice president of Philanthropy and Alumni Relations. “It has been extremely successful for many years in part because it gives the community a very direct way to support the compassionate, healing work that goes on at our Comprehensive Cancer Center. To all those who have attended, to our volunteers and to our many sponsors, we say thank you.”
The 38th annual Winterlark is scheduled for Feb. 6, 2021, at Graylyn and will be chaired by Ashley and Matt Kohlrus and Sarah and Coleman Team. Allegacy will serve as presenting sponsor for the next two years.
- Celgene Corp.
- Wells Fargo The Private Bank
- Reynolds American, Inc.
- The Berti Foundation
- The Budd Group
- Leach Wallace Associates, Inc.
- Delta Dental of North Carolina
- First Bank
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, LLP
- Summit Healthcare Group, LLC
- The Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
- Advanced Fraud Solutions
- First Citizens Bank
- Frank L. Blum Construction Company
- Front Street Capital
- Dan Herko
- HKS, Inc.
- Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC
- Sterling Building Group, Inc.
- Vannoy Construction
- Womble Bond Dickinson
- Blanco Tackabery
- Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
- CJMW Architecture
- Hayco Construction Company
- Johnson Controls, Inc.
- The Keith Corporation
- Mercedes Benz of Winston-Salem
- MSS Solutions
- North State Environmental, Inc.
- Shelco, LLC
- Source4 – The Siadak Family
- Stimmel Associates, PA
- Wake Forest Sports Properties
- Akerman LLP
- BE&K Building Group
- Bell, Davis & Pitt, PA
- Blakley Landscape Services, Inc.
- Brooks Pierce McLendon Humphrey & Leonard, LLP
- Carolina Liquid Chemistries Corp.
- Carolina Placement, Inc.
- Davie Construction Company
- Fader RE
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Atlanta
- First Reliance Bank
- Flad Architects
- Home Real Estate Company, Inc.
- Key Services, Inc.
- Law Offices of Timothy D. Welborn
- Mr. and Mrs. C. Christopher Pace II
- Parker Poe
- Piedmont Federal Savings Bank
- Bayard Powell, MD, and Mary Caponera (in honor of Hematology and Oncology, Wake Forest Baptist Health Comprehensive Cancer Center)
- Reuben Rink Marketing and Advertising
- Salem Smiles Orthodontics
- Shamrock Environmental Corporation
- Shields, Inc.
- Supreme Maintenance Works
- Taylor Colm Group, Inc.
- Trellis Supportive Care
- Garner Foods
- Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr, LLP
- Triad Commercial Properties
- Village Tavern