Skip Navigation

J-2 Dependent Status for Spouse & Children

Dependents of J-1 scholars (spouse and unmarried children under age 21) may enter the US in J-2 status. Dependent children cannot remain in J-2 status after their 21st birthday. Dependents may travel with the J-1 Exchange Visitor or join the J-1 scholar later.  

Entering the US as a J-2 Dependent

  • Each J-2 dependent must have his/her own Form DS-2019. This DS-2019 Form can be obtained from the Office of International Services by the J-1 status holder.  
  • The J-2 dependent must apply for an J-2 visa stamp at a US Embassy or Consulate (except Canadian citizens). The dependent will gain J-2 status through entry to the US by presenting the dependent DS-2019 Form, passport and J-2 visa stamp (accompanied by any supporting documents) at the U.S. Port of Entry.     

J-2 Health Insurance

All J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See Health Insurance for more information.

Quick Reference

Pamela Melton
Program Manager


M-F, 10 am - 5 pm
Office of International Services
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
Medical Center Blvd.
Winston-Salem, NC 27407
Ways to Give
Last Updated: 07-07-2016
Wake Forest Baptist Ranked among Nation’s ‘Best Hospitals’  25 Years in a Row by U.S. News & World ReportComprehensive Cancer Centers National Designation is Renewed2017-2018 Best DoctorsNursing Magnet StatusJoint Commission Report

Disclaimer: The information on this website is for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified health care provider.

© Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157. All Rights Reserved.