Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This breakfast is packed with calories and protein to provide a significant amount of energy.
Prep time:andnbsp;15 minutes
What you need:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 small cooked sausage links, thinly sliced
- 1/2 flour tortilla, cut into 1" squares
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped vegetables (onions and green or red peppers)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- cayenne pepper (optional)
What to do:
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and heavy whipping cream with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Add cooked sausage, tortillas, cheese, and chopped vegetables to the egg mixture and stir until blended.
- In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add egg mixture to skillet.
- As the eggs begin to set, stir the eggs slightly so that the uncooked portion flows to the bottom.
- Cook until the eggs are no longer runny, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cayenne pepper to taste.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 591 calories
- 29g protein
- 43g fat
- 825mg sodium
- 297mg calcium
Serving size:andnbsp;1-1/2 cups
Note:andnbsp;Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with toast and lots of butter.