When you or a loved one receives a cancer diagnosis it can be frightening and overwhelming. The decisions you make about your care and treatment are some of the most important decisions you will ever make. It is wise to seek a second medical opinion from experts specializing in your type of cancer; it may provide you with treatment options you didn’t know were available. It is important to ensure that you receive an accurate diagnosis and the best treatment options available for your specific disease.
The Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Second Opinion program was created to meet the needs of cancer patients seeking the cancer expertise and treatment innovations that an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center is able to offer:
- Oncologists with deep specialty in cancers ranging from the very common to the very rare
- Early access to the latest cancer therapies resulting from our innovative cancer research
- A fast-track process to first appointment and a full diagnosis and treatment plan within days of initial visit, usually within a week.
- A medical care team offering a multidisciplinary approach to ensure the full coordination and involvement of medical, surgical, and radiation oncologists in a patient’s program
- An experienced care support team consisting of a clinical navigator, patient advocate and medical records specialist to ensure a smooth, high touch level of second opinion service and support
Steps to Getting a Cancer Second Opinion:
- No referral is necessary for a Cancer Second Opinion
- Check with your insurance provider to determine coverage for a second opinion visit
- In most instances, you will have an appointment within 7 days or less
- A cancer clinical navigator will be assigned to you and will guide you through the Second Opinion process
- Call the Patient Access Center at 888.716.WAKE (9253) and request a Cancer Second Opinion appointment or complete the appointment request form
Our Cancer Second Opinion support team will assist with getting your external medical records, coordinating appointments, travel arrangements and financial assistance resource options.