Preparing for Your First Meeting
Now that you have decided to embark on a mentoring relationship, here are some important things to do and think about before you have your first meeting with your mentee/mentor.
- Exchange CVs ahead of time
- Put together a list of current job duties (mentee)
- Review what you know about your mentoring partner and make a list of questions to cover what you don't know
- Prepare information to share, including challenges, hopes for the relationship, and past experiences that may have bearing on your relationship as you move forward
- Reflect on your long and short term goals and objectives (this is primarily for the mentee)
- Remember that goals are considered to be broad statements of purpose and they are not measurable (e.g., You want to be promoted). Objectives are measurable and you should have several identified per goal (e.g., You will submit two K12 grant proposals within two years to obtain funding for your research).