Tips to enjoy your fresh berries longer:
- Place berries in a large bowl and wash in a vinegar-water bath: 1 cup of white vinegar and 8 cups of water.
- Let the berries sit in the vinegar-water bath and gently move to remove any dirt and bacteria that could cause them to go bad faster.
- Drain the berries and then rinse well to remove vinegar flavor. Dry with paper towels or a cloth.
- Store the berries in a sealed container lined with paper towels.
It’s hard to beat just eating a bowl of fresh strawberries, but another idea to use them in a salad like the one below.
Strawberry Spinach Salad
4 cups of spinach, rinsed2 cups sliced strawberries
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider, white)
¼ cup sugar
Sliced almonds - optional
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach and strawberries together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, sugar, and paprika together. Pour over the spinach and strawberries, and toss to combine. Top with sliced almonds, if using.