- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water and drained
- 2 cups water or low sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbs. lime juice
- 1 can 15 -oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add quinoa and stir until toasted and aromatic -- about 5 minutes. Stir in water, cumin, and salt; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed -- about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes; with fork, fluff quinoa and set aside at room temperature to cool.
- In medium-size bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and lime juice. Stir in black beans, tomato, red bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, garlic salt and cooked quinoa.
- To serve, divide greens among 4 salad plates. Spoon quinoa mixture onto greens. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.