- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 medium squash)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 8 cups (about 5 ounces) coarsely chopped trimmed kale
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 cups hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place squash in a glass casserole dish with 1/4 cup water. Cover with parchment paper. Microwave 7 minutes on HIGH or until tender, stirring halfway through the cooking time.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add kale and broth; cover. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover; cook 1 minute. Stir in the red pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in squash and pasta, tossing gently. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
Tip: Substitute 2 medium acorn squash, peeled and cubed for the butternut squash, if desired.