- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 shallots, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices Butternut (3/4 cup)
- 1 1 ¾ lb. butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes (4 cups)
- ½ cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 Tbs. packed brown sugar
- ½ tsp. sage, minced
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking, then cook shallots and squash, stirring, until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, brown sugar, sage and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, pepper and salt to taste.