- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsps ground cinnamon
- ½ tsps ground allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup egg substitute
- ¾ cup honey, warmed
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 8 oz. Neufchatel cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup honey, warmed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, mix whole wheat and unbleached flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice until well blended.
- In a medium bowl beat the oil, egg substitute, honey and 2 teaspoons vanilla until blended. Stir in the carrots, raisins, and pecans.
- Stir liquid ingredients into flour mixtures, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Spray 13x9x2 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack.
- To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine Neufchatel cheese, honey and t teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cake.