- 5 cups water
- 2 cups dried black beans, pick through and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Combine water, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, oregano, bay leaf and salt in a large slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW 8 to 10 hours until beans are tender.
- Stir in red wine vinegar before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
Tip: While your food is in the slow cooker don't peek! So much heat escapes when you lift a slow-cooker lid that cooking time is increased by as much as 20 minutes, so resist the temptation to check on your food except as directed.