- 3 cups fat-free, lower sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 tsps. minced garlic
- 1½ tsps. grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- ½ tsp. salt (optional)
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (2 lbs)
- 2 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apple (2 med)
- Combine all ingredients in a 5 to 6-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours or until squash is tender.
- Stir mixture. Carefully place half of squash mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat the procedure with remaining squash mixture. Serve immediately or cool and freeze up to 2 months.
- You can sauté the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil before adding to the slow cooker, if desired.
- Blend cooked soup with an electric hand blender, if desired.
- Garnish with a dollop of fat- free plain Greek yogurt, if desired.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon before serving.