- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsps vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1-15 oz can black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-15 oz can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. each salt and pepper
- Saute´ onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and saute´ 1minute. Stir in turkey and next 8 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat, and simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
- If desired, for extra fiber, add 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped with the onion. Stir in 4 cups raw spinach leaves after 15 minutes, simmering time. Cook until spinach is wilted.
Optional toppings: Baked tortilla chips, diced avocado