- 3 pounds firm cooking/baking apples, such as Granny Smith, Northern Spry, Rome or Golden Delicious
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Peel apples and slice 1/4 inch thick. (You should have about 9 cups).
- Place the apples in a 5 to 6 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat well.
- Cover and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 4 1/2 hours on low.
- Stir in vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and let cool slightly.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.