- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 each carrots, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 each stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 each clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 Tsp chopped fresh sage leaves (or ½ tsp dried)
- ½ Tsp salt
- ¼ Tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan, optional
- In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.