- 2 tbsp. white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, split horizontally
- 1 baguette (about 20 inches), split horizontally, then cut in half
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 4 oz. thinly sliced deli ham
- 4 oz. white cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
- Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper; add chicken, and turn to coast. Marinate in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Lift chicken from marinade, and place on prepared baking sheet; broil until opaque throughout. Transfer chicken to a work surface; discard pan juices from baking sheet.
- Place baguette pieces on baking sheet, cut side up; dividing evenly, spread with apricot preserves, and layer with chicken, ham, and then cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes.