- 1 ¼ pounds ground turkey or lean ground beef
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce, divided
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites), slightly beaten
- 2 tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. dried Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1 package (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- ¾ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8- or 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine ground turkey, ¼ cup spaghetti sauce, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Press half of ground meat mixture into parchment lined pan. Press a 1 inch indentation down center of mixture, leaving 1 inch thickness on all sides.
- Toss spinach and mozzarella cheese together; spoon into indentation, mounding in center. Press remaining ground meat mixture evenly over top sealing edges.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. Spoon remaining spaghetti sauce over meat loaf. Bake 15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes.
Tip: For extra flavor, add ½ tsp fennel seed, crushed to ground beef mixture.