- 3 ½ to 4 lb. whole chicken
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, slice
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Loosen skin of chicken breast by slipping your fingers or a spoon under the skin. Place basil leaves and 2 orange slices under the skin. Brush chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Place orange slices and onion slices in bottom of a 13x9 baking pan.
- Place chicken in pan on top of onion and orange slices.
- Bake chicken 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. For easy slicing, let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Tip: Before baking chicken, spoon 1/2 cup water or chicken broth to bottom of pan to add moisture as chicken roasts.