- 1 sheet puffy pastry, defrosted
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 Granny Smith apples (could use any fruit)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 juice of lemon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Generously flour a working surface. Roll the puff pastry into a 9” x 15” rectangle. Cut the pastry into 6 equal squares. Refrigerate until needed.
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan. Peel and core the apples; cut into 1/2 chunks. Toss the apples with the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and lemon juice, then add to the sugar mixture and simmer until the liquid thickens, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425° degrees. When the apple mixture cools, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of apples onto the puffy pastry squares, off center. Fold the pastry over the apple filling to make a triangle and seal the perimeter by pinching the edges or pressing the tines of a fork into the dough.
- Place the turnovers on a baking sheet and brush with the egg white. Bake until the dough is crispy and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.