Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center has offered Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) since the summer of 1947. Clinical Pastoral Education is a form of theological and professional education for ministry that takes place in academic classrooms and in clinical settings where ministry is being practiced. In CPE, theological students, ordained clergy, members of religious orders and qualified laypersons minister under supervision to people with a variety of pastoral needs. CPE proposes to study "the living human documents" of both self and other for more authentic and effective ministry. Through the practice and reflection of ministry with supervisor and peers, experiential learning takes place.
The mission of the Clinical Pastoral Education program at Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center is to provide skillful and compassionate spiritual care to the patients, families, and staff of the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center community, and to provide quality education to those persons seeking to develop their gifts for spiritual care and spiritual growth. We are committed to helping ministers develop their gifts in ministry to serve as ministers in a variety of positions in a variety of institutions. Our chaplain interns and residents engage in pastoral formation, competence and reflection in a small group under supervision with a Certified Educator.
The Department of FaithHealth Education’s CPE Program is fully accredited to offer Level I, Level II and Certified Education CPE by The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.*
Level I CPE Program (Introductory CPE)
Participants in the Level I, Introductory CPE program are Chaplain Interns. Completion of the introductory Level I CPE program meets the ordination requirements for various denominations and is one of the prerequisites for those considering a CPE year-long residency. We offer three Level I CPE programs:
- The Summer Hospital-based Level I CPE Program
An introductory CPE program designed for participants to spend 40+ hours a week in comprehensive hospital ministry for 10 weeks. Chaplain interns cover a specific clinical area of care, lead weekday worship, and provide on-call coverage of the medical center. The 2022 program begins May 31, 2022. The deadline for submitting applications is March 1, 2022.
- The Hospital-based Divinity School Level I CPE Program
The Divinity School Hospital-based Level I CPE Program is an introductory, extended unit of CPE, from August 2022 to May 2023, and designed for graduate theological students seeking academic credit for CPE. Educational seminars are held on Mondays for 4 hours and chaplain interns are required to provide 10 to 12 hours each week of pastoral care in the hospital. Participants provide pastoral ministry to patients, families, and staff in the hospital through visits to assigned areas and through participation in the chaplain on-call ministry that provides 24-hour chaplain coverage. A Level 1 unit of CPE is a good way to develop skills and explore ministry as a vocational path. The 2022-2023 program begins on August 20, 2022. The deadline for submitting applications is March 1, 2022.
- The Congregation/Hospital-based Level I CPE Program
An introductory, extended unit of CPE, from August 2022 to May 2023, that is designed for ministers attending seminary or maintaining a full-time ministry or secular position. Educational seminars are held each Monday afternoon and chaplain interns are required to provide 10 to 12 hours each week of pastoral care in the hospital or in their ministry setting, such as a church or agency. The 2022-2023 program begins on August 20, 2021. The deadline for submitting applications is March 1, 2022.
Residency Programs (Level I and II CPE and Certified Educator)
The CPE Residency Program
- The CPE Level I and II Residency program is year-long and offers eight residents three units of CPE in a trimester structure. Residents receive a competitive stipend with health care and other excellent benefits. The curriculum is designed to assist in developing a constellation of pastoral care skills and a sense of grounded competence. Residents are responsible for providing pastoral care coverage, seven days a week, responding to a variety of routine and crisis calls. Residents may apply for a second-year specialized fellowship. The residency positions begin the end of August each year. Applicants for this program should have a M.Div. or equivalent and have successfully completed an introductory Level I CPE program. The deadline for submitting applications is December 1, 2021.
Certified Educator Candidate Residency
- We offer one three-year Certified Educator Candidate residency. Currently, we are not accepting applications for Certified Education Students.
Deadlines for submission of applications:
|Residency Level I and II||December 1, 2021|
|Divinity School Internship, Level I||March 1, 2022|
|Summer Internship, Level I||March 1, 2022|
|Congregation/Hospital Internship, Level I||March 1, 2022|
|Certified Educator Residency||Currently not accepting applications|
Application and Admission Requirements:
Applicants for Level I Internships:
- Completed ACPE application
- A $35 application fee payable to “FaithHealth Education”
- Admissions Interview
Applicants for Residency Level I and II Positions:
- Completed ACPE application
- A $35 application fee payable to "FaithHealth Education"
- Completion of an introductory Level I CPE program
- Admissions Interview
- MDiv or equivalent degree
Applicants accepted into our programs may also be responsible for the following additional fees:
- Criminal background check
- Drug screening
- Student Unit Fee $150, paid by center
- Non-refundable deposit (residents only) $200
2022-2023 Fees, Tuitions and Stipends
|Application fee for Intern and Resident Programs
|Application fee for Certified Educator Program||$75 (local) $350 (National)|
|Onboarding fees||See above|
|Student Unit fee||See above|
|Non-refundable deposit||See above|
|Tuitions (per unit)|
|Certified Educator Resident||$400|
|Congregation-based||$650 (if no clinical hours in hospital)|
|Certified Educator Resident||$34,000|
Applications may be emailed to FaithHealthCPE@wakehealth.edu or sent through U.S Postal service to the attention of Rosalind Bradley
For more information and to submit your completed application, contact:
Chaplain Rosalind Bradley, DMin, Admissions Coordinator
Wake Forest Baptist Health
Medical Center Boulevard
Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1099
336-716-9474 or 336-716-3409
Our CPE programs are fully accredited by: