The Chemistry and Toxicology Lab - part of the Core Laboratory at Wake Forest Baptist Health - is a highly automated facility offering services 365 days a year, seven days a week, 24 hours a day. The recently updated automation line is coupled with five new high throughput and state-of-the-art analyzers. The medical director, internationally known and currently serving as the Past President of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry, provides timely consultations.
Most chemistry and toxicology procedures now use micro methods with very few requiring more than 0.2 mL serum or plasma. Common chemistry assays are typically completed within several hours of receipt and all but a few in-house tests are done the day they are received.
In addition, the lab is equipped with capillary electrophoresis. Vitamin D and voriconazole are analyzed by tandem mass spec. A new test for the monitoring of everolimus is performed with an automated analyzer, and our lab is one of the few certified labs in the country. Annual test volume is approximately 5 million tests per year.
- Antifungals - Voriconazole and posaconazole
- Capillary electrophoresis
- Estimated glomerular filtration rate
- Glycated Hemoglobin by automated HPLC
- Homocysteine Analysis
- Hormone and Tumor Markers using Immunoassay
- Immunosuppressants/Transplant diagnostics - Everolimus, FK506, Cyclosporine, and rapamycin
- Iron deficiency testing
- Microalbumin Analysis
- Pain management, clinical and forensic toxicology, workplace drug testing - interpretation and consultation
- TDM testing using Immunoassay
- Thyroid testing using Immunoassay
- Samples from outside the medical center as well as contract work can be accepted. Call the lab at 336-716-2661 for arrangements and instructions.
Related Research Activities
The lab includes the clinical part of the Clinical and Translational Mass Spectrometry Center. It will develop new mass spect tests such as antifungals and others.